driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1972ford

Aquarium Advice Activist
is there anything i need to know about collecting wood from a local lake. also any recommendations how to prepare it for my aquarium. i will be hunting for something around 8x2x3 maybe a little smaller. any idea on how to soak a piece this large i was thinking of just finding one already underwater.

Using Local Driftwood

is there anything i need to know about collecting wood from a local lake. also any recommendations how to prepare it for my aquarium. i will be hunting for something around 8x2x3 maybe a little smaller. any idea on how to soak a piece this large i was thinking of just finding one already underwater.

Hello 19...

I live near lakes and rivers and all my tanks have pieces I found, along with some rocks to weight down the piece in the tank. I find the driest ones and spray them down with a pressure nozzle attached to the garden hose. The same with the rocks. I leave them all out in the sun for a few hours and then put them in the tank.

There's nothing toxic or harmful on the pieces I've ever used. I just clean off the dirt and such and use them. All the baking and boiling and this sort of thing is extra work and not necessary as near as I can tell.

Do whatever you think is needed.

B

Hello 19...

I live near lakes and rivers and all my tanks have pieces I found, along with some rocks to weight down the piece in the tank. I find the driest ones and spray them down with a pressure nozzle attached to the garden hose. The same with the rocks. I leave them all out in the sun for a few hours and then put them in the tank.

There's nothing toxic or harmful on the pieces I've ever used. I just clean off the dirt and such and use them. All the baking and boiling and this sort of thing is extra work and not necessary as near as I can tell.

Do whatever you think is needed.

B

I only say boiling them to try and reduce any possible nasties that could have been absorbed if the area is polluted or an urban environment.

Back
Top Bottom