Dry ferts question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexgcraig

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I was going to follow the instructions on the below post (referred by Rivercats), i ordered the EI Ferts package from Greenleafaquariums.com but it seems they don't include the Magnesium Sulfate that the author of this post recommends mixing in with the macros, anyone think i can do without?

Newbie Guide to PPS-Pro - PPS Analysis and Feedback - Aquatic Plant Central

tanks/specs:

10g: high light BML LED @ 50% on dimmer, daily dosing Excel, 6 neons, 1 beta, MANY yellow shrimp. Java ferns, java moss, wysteria, HC (barely surviving!), Amazon swords. HOB filter.

55g: high light BML LED @ 75% on dimmer, daily dosing Excel, 6 rummynose tetras, 8 guppies, 8 pearl danios, 2 ottos, MANY RCS. java moss, HC (barely surviving!), glosso (reaching for the surface, not growing like a carpet...), micro swords (growing well but slowly), ludwiga (growing very fast), vals (doing ok despite the excel), DHG (but not the dwarf kind! it's over a foot tall but i'm keeping it as it gives the baby shrimp and baby guppies a fighting chance at survival!), dwarf sag (growing fast), anubias, Amazon swords (w/ root tabs, doing ok). Eheim 2217.

tap water GK/KH; colors turn after 2 drops for each

PH 7.6, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates .10/15

thanks!

You bought the ei kit as opposed to the pps pro kit. Ei doesn't use the magnesium.

You could try switching to an ei dosing schedule instead. It's either that or put in an order for the magnesium and wait.

Mebbid, what about Epsom salts for magnesium? Have you heard anything about it? I've never tried it but I read something about using it. OS.

Oops! Will look for a guide, unless you have a methodology to tecommen, thanks!

Magnesium sulphate and Epsom salts are the same thing. Stop by Walgreens on your way home. I use it in my 180 gallon :)

Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback, another question if i may, been doing some reading on the EI method and i'm afraid i won't always be able to keep up with the weekly WC as i travel a lot for work, any point cutting dosing by 1/2 and doing a water change every 2 weeks? or would that be hazardous to the fish...?

Seems PPS Pro allows for fewer water changes, i might just order those ferts...

thanks again!
alex

Mebbid, what about Epsom salts for magnesium? Have you heard anything about it? I've never tried it but I read something about using it. OS.

Magnesium sulphate and Epsom salts are the same thing. Stop by Walgreens on your way home. I use it in my 180 gallon :)

I completely forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me :)

Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback, another question if i may, been doing some reading on the EI method and i'm afraid i won't always be able to keep up with the weekly WC as i travel a lot for work, any point cutting dosing by 1/2 and doing a water change every 2 weeks? or would that be hazardous to the fish...?

Seems PPS Pro allows for fewer water changes, i might just order those ferts...

thanks again!
alex

Seems the only thing you need are dosing bottles and epsom salt to start doing the pps pro method. If you are away from the house a lot you might look into getting an auto doser and making your system maintenance free (aside from water changes and feeding)

I second the auto doser idea. I'm in the process of setting one up myself, along with an auto water changer. I'm getting ready to have another job so Ill be gone a few days a week.

I use EI, so the only things I know about PPS are from reading, but I believe it requires far fewer water changes but take some fine tuning. Basically, you tweak your dosing to fit what your particular tank consumes.

Back
Top Bottom