Duckweed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mattyfelts

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello AA, I was just curious, what are the requirments to keep duckweed (high light vs. low light, water quality, etc.) and what are some benefits and draw backs to it. Thanks for all your time and help!

Hello AA, I was just curious, what are the requirments to keep duckweed (high light vs. low light, water quality, etc.) and what are some benefits and draw backs to it. Thanks for all your time and help!

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's light requirements are pretty low. It does tend to spread quickly over the surface of the water, which will cut off light to any plants below and it's hard to get rid of once it's in a tank. It can be very pretty though, in my opinion but other people here might have ideas on plants that might be good substitutes. What kind if tank are you looking to put it in?

Hello Matt...

Duckweed will grow in most lighting. It's a floating plant. As long as the plant is close to any light source, it will thrive. It easily grows to the point that it will block all light from the plants that grow under it. I have to remove it weekly from my tanks. I use a standard fish net and run the net over the surface of the water. The plants that are left regrow in a few days. It's as good a natural water filter as any of the floaters, with the exception of Anacharis.

B

Thanks to all for your input. Would you reccommend duckweed for a 20gh then? I also have anubias growing. If not duckweed, what should I plant (not specifically floating plants)?

I would do frogbit. It's a very pretty little plant and is very easy to keep in check. Much less messy than duckweed by far and absorbs just as much nitrates. I use it in both of my 55g and 24g nano fish tanks.

I would do frogbit. It's a very pretty little plant and is very easy to keep in check. Much less messy than duckweed by far and absorbs just as much nitrates. I use it in both of my 55g and 24g nano fish tanks.
Wow it is very nice, how do you keep it in check and does it flower?

Wow it is very nice, how do you keep it in check and does it flower?

It won't flower but then floaters inside don't, at least mine never have and I've been bringing in a keeping water hyacinth inside for years. They bloom outside in the sunlight but won't even under my metal halides. They are not overly large, just a nice smaller size and very easy just to scoop out with your hand. I just did a WC in the 55g and took out a handful. Very easy plant to deal with.

It won't flower but then floaters inside don't, at least mine never have and I've been bringing in a keeping water hyacinth inside for years. They bloom outside in the sunlight but won't even under my metal halides. They are not overly large, just a nice smaller size and very easy just to scoop out with your hand. I just did a WC in the 55g and took out a handful. Very easy plant to deal with.
ou, i may have to get some then!

if i can't get my duckweed to start thriving again i was thinking about frogbit if i don't get another floating type. do fish tend to leave it alone? don't mean to hi jack

The only fish I've seen nibble on the actual roots of floaters are gourami's. Don't know why but they seem to like roots or maybe what's on them. As long as you don't have goldfish or any truly herbivore fish like Silver Dollars they will be fine.

I just ordered some Ricciocarpus Natans today hope it does well.
67720-albums13527-picture63942.jpg

67720-albums13527-picture63941.jpg
:dance:

Back
Top Bottom