Dwarf grass/baby tears/other "carpet" plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chiroptera

Aquarium Advice Freak
I love the way a lot of the carpet plants look, but not necessarily when the ENTIRE tank is covered. If too much starts growing in areas I don't want it to, can I simply pick out and remove/sell the excess plants? Or should I be looking for more tame plants that won't overtake my tank?

Also, are there any other small plants that would be good clumped together that don't reproduce and spread like crazy? I'm doing a large (probably 125) tank with sand or really fine gravel substrate (depending on the plants now) and a large manzanita branch, and I want some smaller, short, fore-ground plants to put in the front/middle.

The only other plants will be one or two larger plants to hide the equipment in the back, unsure of what to get though. It'll depend on the foreground plants.

I have Dwarf Sagitaria growing more like area rugs than a carpet. It's very easy to control. I use rocks to contain sections of it and if a shoot escapes it can easily be moved or clipped off and replanted elsewhere.

I have Dwarf Sagitaria growing more like area rugs than a carpet. It's very easy to control. I use rocks to contain sections of it and if a shoot escapes it can easily be moved or clipped off and replanted elsewhere.

I like the way that looks.. it doesn't get too tall, though, right? Not over three or four inches high?

It can actually grow to about a foot tall. But, keep it under good light so it doesn't have to reach up for light and it will stay very short. It's also easy to keep short by plucking off the leaves that you feel are getting too long.

There are tons of foreground plants:
Fissidens moss, dwarf baby tears, marsilea minuta, glossostigma, micro sword, pellia, hydrocotyle sibthorpioides, pearlweed, and helzine are the ones I can think of right now.

Back
Top Bottom