Dying out on me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Welsh

Aquarium Advice Freak
When I started out with the fish keeping hobby a few months back, keeping plants alive was something I was good at but now for some reason they are all dying on me. I have gone from 15 or more plants to just 2 in 4 months. I fertilise with Tetra plantamin with every water change and I poke the sand at the same time, the light is the standard light that came with the tank.

My question is what plants would be suitable for a 12 gallon and easy to maintain but at the same time are colourful :)
Thanks

I'm thinking it's some kind of nutrient defeciency, as when you first started with plants were was plenty of stuff in there, but now it's all used up. One nutrient deficiency could kill plants. Also, you might not have enough light. Could you post some more specific information. What wattage is the light? (It's on the bulb usually), how did they die? Did they turn yellow? What plants were they? How the plants die is usually an indication of what was wrong.

Some turned yellow some turned brown, not completely I just got fed up and threw them in the bin.

Fountain Plant
Elodea Densa
Water Hyssop
Stricta
Anacharis - This is still in the tank, the clippings I cut off are healthy the rest is dying slowly.
Twisting Vallis
Straight Vallis - Still in the tank but turning yellow

The light is 15W

What would be the best fertiliser to use? Obviously the tetra plantamin isn't doing much.

I have been thinking about getting a new light for a while but I like the yellowish tint it gives to the tank but if I want plants to thrive I have to upgrade lol

Back
Top Bottom