Echindoris osiris flower?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
My echindoris osiris flowered I believe. Now what do you do with it? Leave it? Cut it off? Let it flower and then cut it? Does it have seeds that can be used for replanting?

Attachments

• 0005.jpg
    0005.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 36
No help, but congrats! I hope you keep the pics coming: beautiful.

That's an exceptionally cool-looking flower :) and a good picture! I don't know about flowering in this species specifically, but I would leave it alone until it begins to wither. At that point you could cut it off and look for seeds.

Thanks guys, I think it is quite pretty. Was a bit of a suprise. I'm getting better at this plant thing. :)

More than likely (typical of swords but not guaranteed), it will produce some plantlets along the stem, which can be removed and planted when the roots are long enough. If it does produce seeds, and you may have to fertilize the flower using a fine paintbrush or similar, they can be planted when they mature. It is usually better to plant them in a shallow container with the seed just covered with water, after they germinate, you can continue to add water as they grow. Conversely you can grow them emersed if you can maintain a high enough humidity above the plant. Then, it can be acclimated to submerged growth. As an example, all Tropica plants are grown emmersed, in high humidity greenhouses, and they sometimes are difficult to revert to submerged growth.
Good luck with it. It's always nice to see a plant prosper and bloom.

Back
Top Bottom