eewwwwwwwwwww

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wxboilermaker

Aquarium Advice Regular
In my tank 12" 10gal I have a few plants that are about 13 inches long. So the top of the plants hit the surface of the water. I like the look but i'm running into a bit of a problem. Seems that the top of the plant seems to act like a filter and collects food particles. Today I discoverd a very nasty growth at the top of these particular plants. It's a nasty black slimy mold. Once I got the plant to the bathroom to clean it, it let of the most horrible smell i have ever encountered. So I put it under water at full force (on this sink it's incredibly strong) and as hot as I could handle. It all came off, but i'm trying to figure out how to keep it from coming back. Any ideas? Also if this stuff is growing on the surface of the water, why isn't it growing around the top of the filter media?

Seems that the top of the plant seems to act like a filter and collects food particles.
More like a barrier.
why isn't it growing around the top of the filter media?
There is current--to lessen the growth around your plants, weekly water changes will help or more surface agitation.
HTH

I think you might consider that what you're dealing with isn't a 'mold' at all...but rather a blue-green algae (cyanobacterium) like Oscillatoria. They very commonly take on a nearly black appearance, appear slimy are easily wiped away or washed off and have a very distinctive odor. Removing the visible growth will help considerably but keep an eye out for regrowth. Once the stuff gets established it can easily take over a 10 gallon aquarium, covering the plants, substrate, other decorations and even the side of the tank.

plants...

would I be wrong in thinking it a bad idea to place a plant under such hot water? just a thought...

I already do weekly water changes. Take it down by 20% with a half gravel vac. It might actually be algae. The thing I also find peculiar is that this plant is the only origional plant I have. It's been with this aquarium many years. This includes being stored in a garage for several years. Of course I rinsed it exceedingly well in very hot water. The tank does run a little warm, around 75. It recieves maybe 30 min of sunlight to about 1/4 of the tank if it is clear outside. The light is also only on about 15 hours a day. I think it's kind of curious that it chose this plant alone to grow on. I have another plant that hits the surface as well and it didn't have anything grow on it. Will a standard algae killer get rid of this?

Re: plants...

millipede said:
would I be wrong in thinking it a bad idea to place a plant under such hot water? just a thought...

For some reason, I assumed the plant was fake, but you're right - a live plant would not like hot water.

OK....backing up just a little bit...this plant survived being stored in the garage for several years?? It just HAS to be a plastic plant!!! In that case...rinse away!!!

If it is indeed a blue-green (and all of your description points in this direction) then standard algae killers will NOT control it. Though they're called blue-green algae, cyanobacteria are actually photosynthetic bacteria that often grow in long filaments. Very few (if any) fish will eat the stuff and snails often won't pay a whole lot of attention to it either. Completely darkening your tank for about a week will often get rid of it. In serious cases, many people have used antibiotics with some success.

"Will a standard algae killer get rid of this?"

Presuming it is cynaobacteria, it could be taken care of with something like Maracyn. Unless you really have an outbreak that can not be stopped, antibiotics are generally a bad idea.

Ever thought of just cutting the plant? :p

yea...but that's cheating. Also it's not a huge outbreak. Just on this one plant. Altho I am leaving for a week on spring break here soon. Room will be completely dark and I"m leaving the hood off. So that will hopefully do the trick it it comes back. If it does come back I'll also try and get a few pics of it. On that note, i'm gonna use an auto-feeder to feed the fish. If I darken the tank, should I extend the feeding interval and decrease the amount?

I would just rinse it away if it comes back. That is so much easier and cheaper than trying to treat with medications that will mess with your biological filter.

Back
Top Bottom