EI dosing 90gal- phosphates are high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Philly33

Aquarium Advice Freak
My phosphates are high. I do my weekly wc, don't over feed and I remove debris. I'm currently in an algae bloom

I tested my RO kh gh mixture, it's 0, which it should be

Water change yesterday while adding macros:
Nitrate 20
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Phosphate 10

I just reduced lighting from 4 t5ho to 3. Photoperiod 6.5 hrs

What to do?

My tap shouldn't be an issue. I have RO and it tests at 0.

What's your co2 and what kind of algae do you have?

Two things to keep in mind. One, as you've already noted, is that contrary to popular lore, high phosphates don't actually cause algae in freshwater aquariums (unlike in actual freshwater systems), although the opposite is undeniably true. Second, most liquid phosphate tests aren't particularly accurate. IME, API is especially bad.

Its beard algae. Still waiting on my drop checker. Per your advice in my other thread my kh is 5, slowly bringing my ph controller to 6.6.

If you have concerns about you phosphate levels, you can always reduce it 50-75% and see how it pans out. There's a reason Estimative Index is called 'estimative'...

Will an algae bloom always have green water as an indicator? I've had excess algae but my water isn't green like past experiences with other tanks. As mentioned, I've recently started co2 and EI. Could I have triggered a bio bloom or re cycling? I've read that imbalances can also trigger a recycle. Im still waiting for my drop checker. That is the only thing I haven't tested for. I'm trying to be patient.

If you put the tank water in a white cup is it tinted green? If not it isn't an algae bloom. Have you tried to lower you photoperiod to 6 hours for a few weeks? Like AquaChem said high phosphates isn't a bad thing. My 220g usually runs between 5-10ppm without issues, although recently I've been keeping it around 5ppm. As mentioned just cut back on the weekly amount of phosphates your using.

BBA can be spot treated with liquid carbon or hydrogen peroxide 3%. Turn off filters and pull up 1-3ml of either for every 1 gallon of tank water. Then hold the syringe right up to the algae and slowly squirt. Leave filters off 20 minutes. If you have a lot to treat you can do an area a day.

Thanks. I did another wc and will check parameters in the morning. I'm hoping its new tank syndrome. My lights are on only 6.5 hrs. My drop checker should be here any day now. It may be insufficient co2. I'll know in a few days.

Back
Top Bottom