Emersed stem plants.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mumma.of.two

Aquarium Advice Obsessed
What are some commonly available stem plants that can be grown only roots submerged and the rest on or no top of the waters surface? I'm wanting them for a riparium without a lid/not humid. I don't want anything I'm going to have to spray daily either. Is there such a thing?

jlk said:
Have you considered some marginal pond/bog type of plants? Only the roots need to be submerged in water, the rest of the plant is floating or grows above the water.

BOG PLANTS - MARGINAL PLANTS

Thank jlk! I've got some like peace lilly, etc so I'm looking for 'ground covers' for the waters surface. I SUCK at plant names. I only know some of the common names. Thanks for the link!

Idk how you have to take care of it when growing like that but I know the water wisteria I had bout had been grown emersed it had round leaves on it but after two weeks the new growth has turned into the ferny looking stuff
img_1774835_0_e945f55678704a6a7624c7fd890eb0a9.jpg
this is what it looked like when planted before new growth

Another option to look into would be carnivorous plants. Sun dews I believe are good for this sort of thing. The water underneath provides enough humidity. Some pitcher plants would work out in that sort of a set-up too.

Hooray for me being psychic! Lol.
Yeah, it does look like that to me. Of course, it can be hard to tell plants apart when they are still young, but thats how my potted forget-me-nots looked early on. Like I said, some varieties have more stem than others. Mine were pretty stemmy, but that does look right. Hopefully you will be able to tell better once it grows a little more. If it is forget-me-not, the flowers will look AMAZING against all the green from the other plants.:smitten:

How big is your tanks? Pothos, spider plants, philodendrons and creeping charlie all work great with wet feet. I have them growing out the top of my aquarium. Lots of plants will do well with wet feet.

I agree that Pothos would work well. I've grown lots of it by just dropping it in the water.

Back
Top Bottom