Fed up with BBA; Doing a complete tank tear down and rebuild - Need Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i would take a syringe and inject the liquid near the algae, however, i never did it with the filter off.

it is primarily a carbon source and won't work like peroxide.
Start off slowly, double dose twice the first week then double dose every other day until it turns the algae red, return to 2x dose a week until clear, then continue as package directs as maintenance, I have dosed this stuff to quiet high levels with plants and shrimps with no problems (except for the algae, it died)
Try to get the big bottles, way cheaper

Best solution is to dose excel. I had bad BBA when my co2 kept running out as i run diy with EI dosing.

I x5 overdosed excel for 14 days and all BBA turned grey then white and eventually dissapeared.

It has recently come back but again this is due to fluctuating co2 on my diy setup. If i miss a bottle change by few days im screwed :(

I feel your pain Atl300zx. I have had BBA for years.

I have tried everything and nothing works. I have used every product that has been mentioned and it goes away just to come back latter.

A complete overhaul will not do much. Those spores aren't going anywhere.

I have pretty much given up on the quick solutions/non-solutions. My 28 gallon tank (100 W, CO2, EI) had it pretty bad about a year ago, but now there is only a small patch left on the side of the tank. I will not be removing it manually. It will go away on it's own.

In my 75 gallon tank (260 W, CO2, EI), it appears to occur more often when my bioload is high. If I do not maintain my tank and let the organics build up, the plants growth retards and the BBA explodes. Most of the time the BBA is just there, but if I get lazy and don't clean the filter for a couple of months it starts growing on everything.

I figure if I take long enough and slowly make changes (lighting, CO2, EI doses, etc. ), someday I will find the cure for my tanks. It's worked so far for my 28 gallon.

Well, i officially have decided to start over. I am setting up my 75g soon and i am just gonna cycle it from scratch, new filter and everything so i have 0 BBA in my new tank. Then i am gonna take my plants and the 1 decoration i am putting from this tank and dunk my plants and soak my decor in peroxide, including my old filter. O ya, and i need to make sure to change out the carbon.

So sad Etunes... you really only need to get your co2 and ferts inline and BBA will go away.

I had a fresh batch of it take over, I just pruned all effected leaves, triple dosed Excel and maintained co2 at 30ppm and within 2 weeks it had all turned grey/white and melted away.

Back
Top Bottom