Fert refrigeration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hroom88

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently purchased some NPK(PPS system) for dosing. I wanted to know is refrigeration necessary for the solution? I am talking 38-42°C(100*107°F).

IMO, the only one that might benefit from refrigeration would be the traces bottle. If kept at normal room temps(65-80F) adding 25 ml of Excel or Glut will inhibit mold formation. At the temps you listed, I recommend refrigeration. OS.

I mix mine up and freeze smaller amounts of it separately. That way I don't have to worry about glut and the bacteria doesn't get a chance to grow inside it.

Glut will work nicely to prevent things from growing in your ferts. To directly answer your question, refrigeration is not necessary. It will add some like to your solution, but things will likely still grow in them in time. Generally, if I'm making fert solutions, I'll only make enough to use in a few weeks time so that nothing really has time to go bad. With warmer temps, things will go bad quicker though.

Worth mentioning that if you're concerned about storing in warm temps (and 100+ is quite warm), then dry dosing might be a good option for you, as it completely circumvents this problem.

The thought comes to my mind is if your ferts are going to be kept at those temps, what about your aquarium? OS.

Very good question ;)
Usually 86°F to 91.4°F. My hydrocotyle t. have suffered the most followed close by rotalas. Unfortunately investing in a chiller is not on my list of top priorities right now.

25ml of Glut in with your traces. You dose traces like 1ml per 10G so it's such a tiny amount in with the fert, it shouldn't affect the shrimp. OS.

Sorry! I meant, I add the glut in the traces solution as well as the separate NPK solution?

Back
Top Bottom