Fertilizer Advice...Again!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Welsh

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, most people who read my 'nagging' threads will know that I use Flourish Comprehensive and Excel, all my plants are growing and most are more green than they have ever been, along with my My Red Tiger Lotus, which is a lovely shade of red. I have 1.2wpg over a 12UK gallon fish tank. However, I have noticed pin holes and yellowing of some leaves and my java fern, as always has turned a lovely shade of brown :'( I was wondering, what other fertilizer should I add? Would potassium work, since the leaves are turning yellow? Also, I have noticed my roots on my Cryptocoryne Tropica, keeping turning translucent and rotting away.

Pinholes in leaves is characteristic of a potassium issue. Yellowing is a bit more difficult to nail down, but both macronutrients (nitrogen and phosphates) and micronutrients can be the cause.

If you don't already have root tabs under your crypts, that may be a good place to start, as they usually contain a decent amount of potassium along with micronutrients, while some also include macronutrients.

Do you have any pictures of the affected areas? Also, what's your nitrate at?

To answer the root issue, to my knowledge, Crypts roots should be in the substrate. If u see them, they may not be planted far enough in substrate causing them to rot. My crypt roots are planted and plants are doing great.

Pinholes in leaves is characteristic of a potassium issue. Yellowing is a bit more difficult to nail down, but both macronutrients (nitrogen and phosphates) and micronutrients can be the cause.

If you don't already have root tabs under your crypts, that may be a good place to start, as they usually contain a decent amount of potassium along with micronutrients, while some also include macronutrients.

Do you have any pictures of the affected areas? Also, what's your nitrate at?

I have been using root tabs for the last few months, but my crypts don't seem to be benefiting from it, in fact, my Cryptocoryne Wendtii green has stopped growing altogether, their like miniature versions of their selves.

I have a few, their not very good but as you can see the Crypt wendtii brown isn't in very good condition and the java fern keeps browning, all the leaves are in fact speckled black.

I haven't got around to testing my Nitrates yet, but their usually between 5-10ppm

Attachments

• P7190739.jpg
    P7190739.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 64
  • P7190746.jpg
    P7190746.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 72
Back
Top Bottom