Ferts and CO2 question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just tested the pH, it's been about 24 hours since I've left it out and it's back up again to 8.8. Should I increase my bubble count? My pH coming from the tank is about 7.6. It's between 7.4 and 7.8.

A dKH of 13 with a pH of 7.6 is 10ppm of CO2. I'd probably try doubling the CO2 bubble count and see where that puts you. Make sure that you can be around the tank for the next 1-2 hours to keep an eye on the fish after an increase just in case it ends up being too much.

I'll do that tomorrow morning. Lights are already out. Thank you! I'll do the increase tomorrow morning and after work I'll check the pH.

Just as a reference, my CO2 rates are 3.5 BPS on my 75 gallon tank and 1 BPS on my 28 gallon tank. These numbers will not be the same for everyone, but should serve as a reference for someone who is completly dissolving the CO2 as I am.

So, I believe when you kick it up to 2 BPS as Joy has mentioned, you should be close to 30 PPM.

I just increased it to 2 bps and dosed. I wish I had a camera to take pics of how the tank is now and how it will be once they start to grow again. Unfortionately our camera is out for repairs. I think I need to get new timers because yesterday the CO2 turned on at the exact same time as the lights. Today when I went in to increase the bubble count the lights were on but the CO2 wasn't. I really appreciate everyone's help.

When would you start adding new plants? My husband and I are going to be shopping this weekend but I didn't know if it was too soon to add to the tank. Opinions?

I would put all the plants you want in now. You will get a good idea what will grow for you and what won't early on. My water is even a bit harder than yours if you can believe it, dKh 19. liquid rock indeed! With water that hard there are some plants you may love the look of that just won't do well, so don't loose heart. Get as many different species as you can and fill it up, than pack it with the ones that do well for you. more plants now will also prevent algea from getting a foothold.
I have to have my C02 set at 2 bubbles per second to get decent C02 levels in my 20 gallon. Any more and the fish are hurting. I'm at around 40 ppm, though my kh and gh test kits ran out long ago, those numbers are kinda memorized as I tested them a million times early on. I just do a ph test once in a while and also use a drop checker for a quick reference on my C02 level. Once you know the GH and KH of your water, all you need to do is a ph test once in a while and keep an eye on your fish for signs of any stress. Unfortunately, you will have to induce this stress at least once to be able to recognize it. Purrbox makes a good point, the City can mess with your water, maybe it's time for me to re test a few things! Your in for a very cool learning experience, lots of good folk here to guide you through it.

Forgot to mention my PH is at 6.6 after C02 injection, 7.8 to 8 before :) 6.6 is as low as I can take it before my fish start showing signs of stress. :)

You have the CO2, Ferts, and the light. It's time to fill the tank with plants.

Unlike with fish, the more plants early on the better. So here's a vote for more plants now.

I've heard there are some plants that I should stay away from because of my setup (CO2, ferts, lights). Any that you can think of off the top of your head? I may end up having to buy online because the stores around here don't carry too much.

At 2.7 wpg, is that medium light? I've seen different sources give me different results. Some say medium some say medium to high.

I always use Wizard~Of~Ozz's article when I want to estimate lighting levels. Usually does a pretty good job of estimating how a tank is going to act. Then I use PlantGeek, the Plantfinder at APC, and Tropica to look up more info about plants and decide which ones I want. When choosing plants make sure that they are true aquatics, have an appropriate max size for your tank, and don't require more than one level above your current lighting (ie if you have medium high light, you might want to try a few high light plants but probably avoid any very high light plants).

Definately check out the barter/trade section as a great way to pick up plants. Other members here often give away trimmings from some really nice plants. When ordering plants this time of year you'll need to be extra careful of the temperatures. As it gets below about 30F you'll want to ensure the sender includes a heat pack, and if it gets below freezing it would be best to wait on the shipment. Make sure to check the forecast for both your area and the senders.

That is an excellent article Purr! Looks like I'm between Moderate and High. That's probably why I had conflicting information.

Last night I actually checked out Plant Geek and was reading about some that will melt when using Flourish Excel. I'm not using Flourish Excel but I am dosing with ferts that are similar. I assume that they will melt with my ferts too.

Plants are very hard to come by around here. It's pretty much a hit or miss if the lfs will even have ANY plants. And when they do they are usually not named. Most of the time they are labeled "Asst Plants" or "Asst Potted". I hate to go to PetsMart and PetCo but those are the only two stores that always have plants. I'll check today when we go but I may just wait to order online. That way I know exactly what I am getting.

Thank you for the links and your help! I greatly appreciate it.

Plants that are sensitive to Flourish Excel are generally only sensitive to Flourish Excel. The problems are specific to the main ingrediant of Flourish Excel and not the brand Flourish.

Back
Top Bottom