filtration & plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marisullivan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a "hang on the back" filtration system - that seems to be sucking in not only water - but my floating plants as well. I had afriend of mine that recommended a diy filtration since the plants provide so much nutrients, thus resulting in me turning off my "whisper filtration" and keep my plants. It just makes me VERY nervous - but if I can salvage my plants and keep my fish - I am all for it.

Any suggestions?

keep the water up all the way. plus you can use a diffuser. what happens is the water falling over the tank is pushing the plants down and then getting sucked up.

You can create a "pond" at the top of the water with airline tubing to keep your plants away from the filter output. Hope that makes sense... very easy, cheap and effective IME.

You can create a "pond" at the top of the water with airline tubing to keep your plants away from the filter output. Hope that makes sense... very easy, cheap and effective IME.

+1

I've also used fishing line since it's not as noticeable but both work well. (unless you have a pleco that likes to play with the floating plants like our big one does)

How would I do that?
I can research it, but would not know where to start - and am considering a "natural biological diy filtration system" - but again, just nearvous as to how dirty my water will become. In this tank it is a 40g with black mollies, plattys, guppies (live breeders in essence). I have a few snails, a long airstone and heater along with water sprite, water lettuce, java moss, and java fern. I just feel like my tank is filthy - but I am trying to grow plants and so sucking the subtrate during cleaning is not going to work. ugh - this is so hard. :uhoh:

Make a small loop with airline tubing and make sure it floats. Then anchor it at the waterline where you want your plants. Put plants inside loop.

I wish I could get a pic, but I can't for awhile.

This will hold the water lettuce in place?
Make a small loop with airline tubing and make sure it floats. Then anchor it at the waterline where you want your plants. Put plants inside loop.

I wish I could get a pic, but I can't for awhile.

Back
Top Bottom