Finally got my test kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kevkev3321

Aquarium Advice Regular
Got paid today and the first thing j did was go buy s master test kit plus a kH tester.

About 30 mins before the end of the light cycle on my 10g (after 7 and a half hours of straight co2 with no air pump running I test everything:

pH: 7.4
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
kH: 17 degrees

Co2 is at around 20ppm

About two hours after the lights turn off and the air pump starts running I test again for co2 and this is what I get

pH: 7.8
kH: 14
Co2 is around 6ppm

My question is: how come I have negative readings on everything and the tanks only been running for 6 days

It's planted only, are my readings normal for this application?

So there are no fish?

Until there is some source of ammonia 0 readings are what you should expect.

You need an ammonia source... Just get a piece of raw shrimp and stick it in there.

We can't make you fishless cycle, but are you aware of the health effects fish-in cycling has on fish?

If I took water from my established 100g and put it in the new 10g wil it speed up the cycling process?

And. Was thinking of taking some gravel from my 100g, putting it in a mesh bag and putting it in the filter. Will this help?

kevkev3321 said:
If I took water from my established 100g and put it in the new 10g wil it speed up the cycling process?

And. Was thinking of taking some gravel from my 100g, putting it in a mesh bag and putting it in the filter. Will this help?

Water won't do anything... It's wet, used gravel and wet, used filter media that'll speed up cycling.

Okay thanks

I really hate opening the canister filter but if that's what it takes then that's what ima do

And lastly will a 10g cycle faster than a 100g?

kevkev3321 said:
Okay thanks

I really hate opening the canister filter but if that's what it takes then that's what ima do

And lastly will a 10g cycle faster than a 100g?

Not necessarily. If you have enough ammonia in the hundred... It would cycle just as fast as the ten.

Okay well I bout some ammonia and I read somewhere online that the ammonia should added until it's at around 4ppm

Is this correct?

Make sure your ammonia has no soap, fragances, surfactants, etc. Just ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom