First water changes....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snakeapartment

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I've asked a few questions on here and have gotten great feedback and advice so thanks in advance! I'm doing a 12 gallon fluval edge planted tank. Up for about a month. Introduced 3 neons last week and all seems well. Getting a tiny bit of hairy looking algae buildup on the heater and was wondering if I should be doing a water change yet. Also should I do anything to the new water first? Like conditioner etc? Or do I top it off with tap water and then add conditioner and chems? Please let me know because everything seems great so far and I don't want to spoil it. Been a lot of fun thus far!

Welcome to AA. Many good people in here to help you learn the hobby.
ALWAYS add dechlorinator to your tap water or tank water before adding to the tank.
Neon tetras were not the best choice for a fish in cycle as they can be delicate. Please research the cycling articles listed here in AA. Your two best friends in this hobby is an API master test kit and this forum. lol. OS.

Personally i think you should be looking at a partial water change once a week. I would think something like 30-50% of the tank water. Always add dechlorinator to your tap water before adding to the tank

Thanks a ton. One other quick question. I bought some type of sword plant from the store and when I got home I noticed the roots were growing out of and tangled badly in the little plastic planter. Fearing ripping or destroying the plant I just dropped the whole thing in there. Is that ok?

Yea it is. Youd be better cutting those exposed roots back, removing the planter and weight. Then cutting back the fibrous material they are planted in. Much better off planting into substrate

Personally i think you should be looking at a partial water change once a week. I would think something like 30-50% of the tank water. Always add dechlorinator to your tap water before adding to the tank

In a cycling tank I would probably do a 50% change twice a week.

Yea it is. Youd be better cutting those exposed roots back, removing the planter and weight. Then cutting back the fibrous material they are planted in. Much better off planting into substrate

+1 couldn't have said it better myself. Roots of plants such as the amazon sword are quite resilient. It's common practice to cut off all but 1" - 2" of the roots depending on the plants size before planting it. That plant will also need root tabs to really grow healthily. Be careful though, they can get HUGE, I have one that reaches the top of my 55g tank.

Back
Top Bottom