Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Planted Odyssey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't forget manzanita. Using a base of slate or stainless steel mesh, you can use stainless steel screws to secure (predrilled) manzanita branches in some type of arrangement. A bouquet is sticks essentially.

Don't forget manzanita. Using a base of slate or stainless steel mesh, you can use stainless steel screws to secure (predrilled) manzanita branches in some type of arrangement. A bouquet is sticks essentially.

Nice idea, Fresh. If everything goes to plan, I'll have this rescape completed by the middle of January. I'm currently scanning driftwood pieces online. The next step would be to sell some Crypts to create some space. We'll see. On top of the Needle Leaf Java Fern, I also am planning on getting some Windelov Java Fern (a small amount for contrast), as well as keeping some of Trident Java Fern. I'll get a small amount of Buces, as well as one or two medium-sized Anubias.

I'm going to get some manzanita driftwood for this tank. I'll keep the current spider wood as well (the driftwood will look the same color wise given time) in order to create a unique aquascape. This is progressing faster than I thought.

I'm going to get some manzanita driftwood for this tank. I'll keep the current spider wood as well (the driftwood will look the same color wise given time) in order to create a unique aquascape. This is progressing faster than I thought.

You can't stop the bug once it gets a hold. [emoji23]

You can't stop the bug once it gets a hold. [emoji23]

Very true! I'm thinking about ordering from http://manzanita.com/aqwood.htm. I'd get the 12 piece aquarium pack. 12 pieces for $38 (without shipping, but it shouldn't be that bad) is a deal! I'd have a ton of options, plus with the current spider wood pieces, there'd be a lot of wood space to work with and a lot of character in the tank. That means a lot of Java Fern (more than one type [emoji12]), Anubias, and Buces! Just how I saw the tank a year ago. Im going to have to sell some Crypts to make room. I'll post an ad in two weeks.

Very true! I'm thinking about ordering from http://manzanita.com/aqwood.htm. I'd get the 12 piece aquarium pack. 12 pieces for $38 (without shipping, but it shouldn't be that bad) is a deal! I'd have a ton of options, plus with the current spider wood pieces, there'd be a lot of wood space to work with and a lot of character in the tank. That means a lot of Java Fern (more than one type [emoji12]), Anubias, and Buces! Just how I saw the tank a year ago. Im going to have to sell some Crypts to make room. I'll post an ad in two weeks.

Love wood scapes. Be interesting to see what you come up with.

Love wood scapes. Be interesting to see what you come up with.

I'll ditch the current Anubias, and get some healthy Anubias. For some reason, I have always done better getting immersed Anubias, and then allowing the plant to transition. I don't know why. With all the wood, I'm looking at Golden Anubias nana, Coffee-leaved Anubias, and some regular nana (petite and regular sized).

https://youtu.be/ns916oSAplU

Nice video that I found that'll serve as some inspiration for the rescape. I've decided that I'll only be getting a small amount of Buce (too costly for a total Buce and Java Fern theme), with Anubias accenting the Java Fern as well.

Note: I'm not going for a total green look like the tank in the video, just mostly green. Plants like Crypt wendtii "bronze" will be kept for some contrast.

Plant list draft (half of the Crypts will be kept):

Anubias coffeefolia (taking a break from Anubias, but I do like this specific plant)
Buces (will get many varieties)
Java Fern Needle/Narrow Leaf
Windelov Java Fern
Java Fern "Thor's Hammer"
Dwarf Sag
Crypt wendtii "Bronze"
Crypt wendtii "Green Gecko"
Crypt parva
Crypt wendtii "green"
Micro Sword
Echinodorus sp. (unknown at the time)
Crypt wendtii "Mi Oya"

I will be posting a for sale thread soon for the Crypts that I won't be keeping. The Crypt nurii will be for sale, but I'll be more costly than the other Crypts (don't worry, I won't sale it for as much as others are wanting for it--online vendors)

I'm also wanting to add some dragon stone to the tank. I've always found aquascapes that have stone and driftwood to be unique.

That's a lot of crypts. Where are you getting the dragon stone from? I was thinking about getting some from Aquarium Plants dot com until I scored some petrified wood.
For some reason I see all DW or all stone scapes and not so common a mix of both.

That's a lot of crypts. Where are you getting the dragon stone from? I was thinking about getting some from Aquarium Plants dot com until I scored some petrified wood.
For some reason I see all DW or all stone scapes and not so common a mix of both.

I was thinking about getting some dragon stone from an eBay seller, but I've decided to just get driftwood. I've updated the plant list for the future rescape. I think this mix will be a good one. Really green, low maintenance plants that will show off the fish well. On the bright side, and as I've mentioned, this won't be a total teardown as most of the Crypts are established. Also, the Crypt parva, after 4 months, is beginning to produce new leaves [emoji1303], so there is no chance that it'll be moved.

Plant list:
Anubias coffeefolia
Assorted Bucephalandra
Windelov Java Fern
Needle Leaf Java Fern
Dwarf Sag
Crypt beckettii "petchii"
Crypt parva
Marsilea sp.
Echinodorus "Pinwheel"
Echinodorus gabrielli
Crypt wendtii "green"
Crypt wendtii "bronze"

I have a new conclusion to the Anubias issues that I had. Two of the five Anubias nana "petite" rotted away, but I believe that is because they were tied down too tight. The other three Anubias are producing new leaves. The leaves are a bit brownish, but it appears to be diatoms. I am planning on getting a lot of Anubias to attach to the new driftwood, which I just ordered a couple days ago, and there will be some Bucephalandra. Buce is just too expensive to get a large quantity, but I'll get a nice clump of it.

What are you tying it down with? I guess it does not matter as long as it is not constricting.
I may take a look at buces.

What are you tying it down with? I guess it does not matter as long as it is not constricting.
I may take a look at buces.

Clear fishing line. With the manzanita, and the large amount that is coming through the mail, I should be able to plant via nooks and crannies. I'm excited about the Buces. In my experience, it's like a Crypt at first in terms of adjusting, then it acts like Anubias in terms of growth rate.

Needle/Narrow Leaf Java Fern has been ordered, and the driftwood should be in soon. The transition is just beginning! I'm going to keep some of the Trident instead of getting Thor's Hammer.

The Crypt wendtii "green" is starting the gain color, and the Anubias is fine. The brown color on the leaves turned out to be diatoms. For the two that rotted, I still believe it was due to fishing line tightness. The rescape will commence in a week or near that time. Many Buces, Echinodorus, Anubias, and Java Fern will be coming soon. Also, Merry Christmas everyone!

https://i.imgur.com/lT0HpvS.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/6mZST3i.jpg

Plant list for this rescape:

Trident Java Fern
Windelov Java Fern
Needle Leaf Java Fern
Anubias barteri
Anubias barteri var. nana
Anubias nana "petite"
Anubias nana gold
Bucephalandra "Mini Kedagang"
Bucephalandra "Apple Leaf"
Bucephalandra "Brownie Red"
Bucephalandra "Super Blue"
Bucephalandra "Dark Achilles"
Crypt parva
Crypt wendtii "green"
Crypt wendtii "Bronze"
Crypt nurii
Echinodorus "Pinwheel"
Echinodorus gabrielli

This sounds like too many plants for a tank this size, but there will only be a large amount of Crypt parva and Needle Leaf Java Fern. Many Crypts were sold, and the Trident Java Fern was reduced. I eventually want to get some Anubias nana "pinto". That'll come at a later date. With the added plant mass, I might have to add another mini powerhead. That should be no problem if that would be needed. Oto Catfish will be added in the summer when the tank is completely established plant-wise and not chaotic. I'm also eyeing some Chocolate Gourami. My tank flow is not so overpowering that slow-moving fish have a hard time.

The driftwood will be here soon. Only a few more plants to send out, and some plants have been ordered. Low maintenance paradise will soon be upon us.

Stay tuned . . .

Your not kidding anyone including yourself I bet! That's a lot of plants! [emoji23]

That's true! Many plants, very dense. The rasboras and barbs will be in heaven. Maybe the Kuhlies will be more adventurous in the day. After this, it'll just we watching and waiting, trimming here and there, monthly filter maintenance, and repeat.

Back
Top Bottom