Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Planted Odyssey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Plant list for this rescape:

Trident Java Fern
Windelov Java Fern
Needle Leaf Java Fern
Anubias barteri
Anubias barteri var. nana
Anubias nana "petite"
Anubias nana gold
Bucephalandra "Mini Kedagang"
Bucephalandra "Apple Leaf"
Bucephalandra "Brownie Red"
Bucephalandra "Super Blue"
Bucephalandra "Dark Achilles"
Crypt parva
Crypt wendtii "green"
Crypt wendtii "Green Gecko"
Crypt wendtii "Bronze"
Crypt nurii
Echinodorus "Pinwheel"
Echinodorus gabrielli

This sounds like too many plants for a tank this size, but there will only be a large amount of Crypt parva and Needle Leaf Java Fern. Many Crypts were sold, and the Trident Java Fern was reduced. I eventually want to get some Anubias nana "pinto". That'll come at a later date. With the added plant mass, I might have to add another mini powerhead. That should be no problem if that would be needed. Oto Catfish will be added in the summer when the tank is completely established plant-wise and not chaotic. I'm also eyeing some Chocolate Gourami. My tank flow is not so overpowering that slow-moving fish have a hard time.

The driftwood will be here soon. Only a few more plants to send out, and some plants have been ordered. Low maintenance paradise will soon be upon us.

Stay tuned . . .

Updated plant list:

Trident Java Fern
Thor's Hammer Java Fern
Needle Leaf Java Fern
Anubias barteri
Anubias barteri var. nana
Anubias nana "petite"
Anubias nana "gold"
Anubias nana "pinto"
Bucephalandra "Mini Kedagang"
Bucephalandra "Apple Leaf"
Bucephalandra "Brownie Red"
Bucephalandra "Super Blue"
Bucephalandra "Dark Achilles"
Crypt parva
Crypt wendtii "green"
Crypt wendtii "Green Gecko"
Crypt wendtii "Bronze"
Crypt nurii
Echinodorus "Pinwheel"
Echinodorus gabrielli

All but one plant has been ordered (the Apple Leaf Buce). The manzanita driftwood has been soaking for approximately a day. I plan on planting early next week, as well as sending out the final excess plants. This should be a fun and colorful build.

So many plants! it sounds as though they will look very similar to each other because I am unfamiliar with the different varieties.

Have you thought how you will group them? Will you keep the species together or mix them?

So many plants! it sounds as though they will look very similar to each other because I am unfamiliar with the different varieties.

Have you thought how you will group them? Will you keep the species together or mix them?

The Anubias will be pretty similar, with the exception of leaf shape. Anubias nana "pinto" is unique in that the new leaves can have a white color, and the leaves turn green with time. Thor's Hammer and Trident will accent the Needle Leaf Java Fern. Buce will contrast the Anubias. The sides of the tank will have the Echinodorus and the Crypts.

Where did you find Thor's Hammer?

https://liquidcreations.net/shop/aquarium-plants/midground/microsorum-thors-hammer/

I also got the Anubias nana "pinto" here too.

With the amount of space that the manzanita will take up, I'm thinking that I won't have room for the spider wood that is in the tank. I'll just put those in storage for another tank (no new tank anytime soon). The pieces are more suited for nano tanks anyway. The soaking manzanita pieces are almost ready for tank placement--they just need a little longer. I received some nice plants from junglefowl today. I placed them randomly in the tank for now. The Buce looks great though, along with the Anubias.

With the amount of space that the manzanita will take up, I'm thinking that I won't have room for the spider wood that is in the tank. I'll just put those in storage for another tank (no new tank anytime soon). The pieces are more suited for nano tanks anyway. The soaking manzanita pieces are almost ready for tank placement--they just need a little longer. I received some nice plants from junglefowl today. I placed them randomly in the tank for now. The Buce looks great though, along with the Anubias.

Nice! JF seems to do a lot of business on here. I'm just too far to receive them. Did you post pics of the new wood or would that be a spoiler?

Nice! JF seems to do a lot of business on here. I'm just too far to receive them. Did you post pics of the new wood or would that be a spoiler?

That won't be until I put them in the tank. No teasers this time around [emoji6].

Got the driftwood in the tank. Two pieces are anchored down by other pieces, so hopefully they'll waterlog quickly. Although the substrate is flat, the tank now has added height due to the amount of manzanita and spider wood. The tank is cloudy right now, so I'll show some photos when everything clears up (might take a day or two).

The tank is almost clear. I lost my Honey Gourami from all of the tank chaos of replanting and driftwood movement, but all of the others fish are doing well. I'm thinking I'll replace it with Red Honey Gourami or Chocolate Gourami. All new fish additions will take place in the summer when the plants have grown and the tank is more stable. As I've mentioned, I'll try Oto Catfish again. I'll be more strategic with acclimation and feeding this time around. Tank pictures to come when the plants come in.

Got some plants today and planted the tank up. Now I'm just waiting on the Apple Leaf Buce and Needle Leaf Java Fern. I will post pictures later tonight of the tank.

Looks real nice fish! Looks like you have put in some serious hard work and it's paid off for you! [emoji108]

Looks brilliant. All that work tying things do that wood! Looks better than I imagined having not being familiar with most of the plant choices. I think Anubias nana pinto is now officially on my list of plants to try. Love it.

Is it time? Time to sit back and enjoy that tank and not worry about trimming and algae outbreaks?
Is this the same tank that had the threadfins in it? If so, perhaps a flash back pic is in order. To show the changes.

Looks real nice fish! Looks like you have put in some serious hard work and it's paid off for you! [emoji108]

This is the most aggressive I've ever been with plant choices, so I'm glad it looks good. Thanks, Bert!

Looks brilliant. All that work tying things do that wood! Looks better than I imagined having not being familiar with most of the plant choices. I think Anubias nana pinto is now officially on my list of plants to try. Love it.

Thanks, Caliban! It took me about two hours to get the wood right. There were so many choices. Anubias nana "pinto" is interesting so hopefully it'll do well.

Is it time? Time to sit back and enjoy that tank and not worry about trimming and algae outbreaks?
Is this the same tank that had the threadfins in it? If so, perhaps a flash back pic is in order. To show the changes.

Almost, just three more plants (more Crypt parva in addition to the Buce and Java Fern). After that it'll be watching and waiting, trimming here and there, the monthly filter cleaning, and tank maintenance. Once the tank is stable and tank maintenance is low, I'll get the fish (aiming for the end of May or early June). This is the same tank that I had the Threadfins! I'd love to have them again, but I don't want to overstock the tank. Here's the tank progression throughout my history at AA (in order--started the tank in March of 2013):

https://i.imgur.com/k4mpvok.jpg

Very [emoji106]

Thank you!

A little bit of bad news: the NL Java Fern and Apple Leaf Buce arrived melted today and I had to toss it out. The seller and I agreed for replacements to be sent in mid-March. For now, it'll be status quo with the tank. Watch, wait, clean, clip, repeat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom