Fishwrangler's 29gal Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish wrangler

Aquarium Advice Addict
Fish stocking list- 10 neon tetras, 6 otocinclus, 10 black skirt tetras, 10 ghost shrimp, and 1 dwarf gourami.

Plants-Java fern and Anubias to start with. When i upgrade lighting i might add more.

Filtration- 1 TopFin30, upgrading to either Marineland Magnum 350 or the 350 Pro

Lightning- 1 NO T8 upgrading to 1 Finnex Planted+ LED

Substrate - Flora Max (couldn't find eco :( )

I am doing a fishless cycle right now, and hopefully i can add the first java tomorrow after school :)

Help is always appreciated!

P.S. I have some of my old gravel in there but i dont think the BB survived so back to re-cycle

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1414293076074.jpg
    1414293076074.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 70
Looks like a neat stock so far. What types of plants are you looking to put in there?

I love my 29 gal, pretty reasonable size and maintenance isn't that bad.

Looking at some low lights. Java fern, anubias, and maybe another one.

I was tired of plants floating so i tied nost down, lowered water level for waterfall, added bubble wand for more surface disturbing, and raised heater temp to 79ish degrees. Thermo says 76 because that is what it was set at before.

Attachments

• 1414380525806.jpg
    1414380525806.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 1414380536309.jpg
    1414380536309.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 56
Looking good. This is the hardest part, waiting for the cycle. Are you adding a source of ammonia to keep it going?

I recommend doing your filter upgrade ASAP, unless your Topfin has plenty of media you can move to the new one.

I plan on keeping the ammonia at 2-3 ppm until the cycle is complete.

I am hoping to stretch the Topfin out until Christmas so I can ask for the marineland as a gift along with the lights. I know this means bigger water changes.

I plan on keeping the ammonia at 2-3 ppm until the cycle is complete.

I am hoping to stretch the Topfin out until Christmas so I can ask for the marineland as a gift along with the lights. I know this means bigger water changes.

Ask around about the Aquaclear/Fluval HOBs and see what you think. In my limited experience the Marineland is a tiny step up but the Aquaclear (currently being rebranded as Fluval) a larger step up.

I had a Marineland 200 on my 29 and while I liked it mostly, it could get noisy and fiddly. The wheel stopped often, and it didn't take much to get it to where it wouldn't run properly after a cleaning.

Now I have the Aquaclear 50 or 70, I forget which http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000260FUW?pc_redir=1413280952&robot_redir=1

And I much prefer it. It was easy to substitute media from my old filter to get it seeded.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Ask around about the Aquaclear/Fluval HOBs and see what you think. In my limited experience the Marineland is a tiny step up but the Aquaclear (currently being rebranded as Fluval) a larger step up.

I had a Marineland 200 on my 29 and while I liked it mostly, it could get noisy and fiddly. The wheel stopped often, and it didn't take much to get it to where it wouldn't run properly after a cleaning.

Now I have the Aquaclear 50 or 70, I forget which http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000260FUW?pc_redir=1413280952&robot_redir=1

And I much prefer it. It was easy to substitute media from my old filter to get it seeded.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I am looking at the marineland magnum canister not HOB, all the reviews on amazon amd ebay are positive.

Back
Top Bottom