floramax substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdud

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i just got this substrate today and was gonna replace the blue gravel from my 36 g to this floramax plant substrate. Has anyone used it? Is it any good? I know many people prefer eco complete but my petsmart just had this and flourite. Also when replacing it, should i do half today then the other half two days later or just do it all? Im gonna be leaving the fish inside so any advice would be great. Thanks:thanks:

It's good, it's pretty much just like ecocomplete, a little coarser, but basically the same thing without the liquid.

I'd swap it out all at once personally, just test the water regularly for the next few days to make sure you dont get a toxin spike.

I use it... it is the same material that they use for eco complete... it's the same stuff minus that bacteria that they put in the eco. They make 2 grain sizes, typically eco is the smaller grain and floramax is the bigger grain, but both can be had in both sizes.

That said, it's great. I love it. I don't see a need in doing half and half... you'll end up mixing some up and it'll just be a pain. Just take the fish out, drain it, rinse the floramax, put it in, fill it back up, acclimate fish, done. Also, the little packet of clarifier is great if the tank clouds any. I didn't have an issue with the floramax, but I mixed in flourite with mine and it was nasty... that stuff cleared it up pretty quick.

okay thank you cause this is what i heard "floramax break down after about 10 months and was nutrition deprived. you can fix this by adding more fertilizers" i was worried at first cause i thought i had just wasted money.

I cant take the fish out, i don't have anywhere else to put em. And the bag i got is the midnight color one and the grains are small

mfdrookie516 said:
You don't have a bucket? Every tank owner needs a bucket! Go buy one for $2 at walmart... 3.5g mop bucket will work fine.

I have a bucket! Lol but ima use that to put the gravel I take out in there and gonna wash the substrate. I have an extra ten gallon but that is not yet setup but I have one ten gallon that is but it would be overcrowded.

okay thank you cause this is what i heard "floramax break down after about 10 months and was nutrition deprived. you can fix this by adding more fertilizers" i was worried at first cause i thought i had just wasted money.

That's the case with most of the nutrient enriched substrates, they aren't going to have nutrients forever, they will eventually get spent.

A soil substrate typically has more nutrients and lasts longer than eco complete and the other 'planted' substrates, but the commercially prepared ones are much easier to work with and you can always add root tabs or column dose later.

If you have an empty tank, just put some water from your tank in there, put the fish in, do your substrate swap, then move them back... I used an empty 20 long to hold my fish while I swapped substrates in my 40b a while back.

Yay the app didn't crash and can now post pics. This is my tank and the substrate I plan on replacing it with.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110829_174047.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110829_174047.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 144
  • ForumRunner_20110829_174242.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110829_174242.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 162
  • ForumRunner_20110829_174323.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110829_174323.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 230
mfdrookie516 said:
If you have an empty tank, just put some water from your tank in there, put the fish in, do your substrate swap, then move them back... I used an empty 20 long to hold my fish while I swapped substrates in my 40b a while back.

Smart idea lol but I really do think it would be overcrowded in a ten gallon.

That's the case with most of the nutrient enriched substrates, they aren't going to have nutrients forever, they will eventually get spent.

A soil substrate typically has more nutrients and lasts longer than eco complete and the other 'planted' substrates, but the commercially prepared ones are much easier to work with and you can always add root tabs or column dose later.

okay, i have root tabs and liquid ferts(y)

You need to rinse it... and how many fish are we talking about? Unless they're just huge, or there's hundreds of them, the 10g should be fine for the hour it takes to replace it.

You can rinse it in the tank if you don't have an extra bucket laying around... it's not very dirty

mfdrookie516 said:
You need to rinse it... and how many fish are we talking about? Unless they're just huge, or there's hundreds of them, the 10g should be fine for the hour it takes to replace it.

You can rinse it in the tank if you don't have an extra bucket laying around... it's not very dirty

I'm guessing 14. And is one bag enough? I rinsed a cup of it and its really dirty.

Can I do one bag today and get another one tomorrow?

Any advice? And wow this substrate is kinda rough and scratched all my nails. Hope it doesn't scratch up the glass

Back
Top Bottom