Flourish Excel not killing BBA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plantedtankman

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've read that Flourish Excel should kill BBA, but that's still not the case for me. I still have it growing my tank. The Excel has also taken a toll on my Java Ferns. What should I do?

No don't dilute it. In order to help you out more could you put a pic up of your setup? Also, what is your lighting, fert dosing.

Sure. Here's some pictures:

image-1014737963.jpg

image-3024048042.jpg

image-369109124.jpg

image-2998859651.jpg

image-4193946383.jpg

image-3001294707.jpg

image-3855886726.jpg

Not sure what is on the leaves in the last couple pictures. I'm switching to to dry ferts in about a week or two.... once I use up my Flourish. As of now I use Flourish (a capful) once a week and I use Excel once a day (3 mL). My lighting is T5 HO 2.6 watts per gallon and 6000 K. My tank is a 30 gallon. I'm thinking once I switch to dry ferts, there will be more of a balance in my tank.

How long are you running your lights for daily? Usually the higher light you have the shorter photoperiod you need to keep algae from growing. What do you say Excel is taking a toll on your Java Ferns? I use liquid carbon at high dosages in high light tanks and it has no detrimental effects on any of my plants, including Java Ferns.

How long are you running your lights for daily? Usually the higher light you have the shorter photoperiod you need to keep algae from growing. What do you say Excel is taking a toll on your Java Ferns? I use liquid carbon at high dosages in high light tanks and it has no detrimental effects on any of my plants, including Java Ferns.

My lighting is 6 hours a day. My Java Ferns have holes and them and are brownish now.

I think you're overestimating in effect of Excel on BBA.

Basically, Excel has two effects on BBA. First, it addresses on of the fundamental causes of BBA, a carbon-light imbalance. CO2 does this better, but that's another discussion altogether. Second, it is algaecide, but not in the same way as antibiotics are to bacteria. It's actually a much weaker effect. If the BBA is pronounced enough that Excel isn't affecting it, you should look at what's causing it in the first place, ie, too much light, to little carbon.

You can spot treat with Excel, but I prefer H2O2 as I've had better luck with it. If I were really mad at something, I might treat with both. Treating with H2O2 does involve some risk, as there are sporadic reports of it killing fish at normally safe doses. Shrimp are also particularly sensitive to both chemicals. I've dosed H2O2 2-4 mL/gal in a fish tank and 8 mL/gal (4 spot, 4 WC) in a plant-only tank without ill effects.

My choice would be 1-2 mL/gal H2O2 spot treatment and dose 2x the recommended Excel dose and see if that gets you somewhere. Also look at reducing light by raising it or screening it to see if that helps.

EDIT: What's in this tank in terms of livestock and plants?

What's the distance between light and gravel? When was last time you changed your light bulbs? More likely, your lights are too strong for your plant. Remember that wattage of bulb doesn't mean anything unless the spectrum is decent, the height from source is acceptable, and the bulb is newer.

If you go out and use a plastic pipette to apply EXCEL, it will work. I'm currently using that method.

I think you're overestimating in effect of Excel on BBA.

Basically, Excel has two effects on BBA. First, it addresses on of the fundamental causes of BBA, a carbon-light imbalance. CO2 does this better, but that's another discussion altogether. Second, it is algaecide, but not in the same way as antibiotics are to bacteria. It's actually a much weaker effect. If the BBA is pronounced enough that Excel isn't affecting it, you should look at what's causing it in the first place, ie, too much light, to little carbon.

You can spot treat with Excel, but I prefer H2O2 as I've had better luck with it. If I were really mad at something, I might treat with both. Treating with H2O2 does involve some risk, as there are sporadic reports of it killing fish at normally safe doses. Shrimp are also particularly sensitive to both chemicals. I've dosed H2O2 2-4 mL/gal in a fish tank and 8 mL/gal (4 spot, 4 WC) in a plant-only tank without ill effects.

My choice would be 1-2 mL/gal H2O2 spot treatment and dose 2x the recommended Excel dose and see if that gets you somewhere. Also look at reducing light by raising it or screening it to see if that helps.

EDIT: What's in this tank in terms of livestock and plants?

Here is my stock:

1 Mexican Orange Dwarf Crayfish
7 Bentos Tetras
2 Rams
5 Cory Cats
2 Panda Garra

Here is the plant stock:

2 Anubias Nana
About 7 Amazon Swords
Java Ferns
Baby Dwarf Tears
Pogostemon Helferi
2 Banana Plants
Either Dwarf Sagattaria or some type of Val
Hygrophila
Moss Balls
And some floating plant that I can't identify

image-3587327437.jpg

image-435968006.jpg

What's the distance between light and gravel? When was last time you changed your light bulbs? More likely, your lights are too strong for your plant. Remember that wattage of bulb doesn't mean anything unless the spectrum is decent, the height from source is acceptable, and the bulb is newer.

If you go out and use a plastic pipette to apply EXCEL, it will work. I'm currently using that method.

About 17.5 inches. I changed the bulbs about a year and a half ago, but they weren't in use for about 2 months.

Can you post a picture of the Java fern spots your talking about because they actually could be getting ready to produce baby plants on the leaves.

Now that it was asked what size tank and what liqhting and bulbs do you use? If you have higher light and aren't using the proper amount of liquid carbon then you can have algae issues. Also what ferts are you using?

Can you post a picture of the Java fern spots your talking about because they actually could be getting ready to produce baby plants on the leaves.

Now that it was asked what size tank and what liqhting and bulbs do you use? If you have higher light and aren't using the proper amount of liquid carbon then you can have algae issues. Also what ferts are you using?

image-3187780387.jpg

I have a 30 gallon. The lighting is by AquaticLife. It is a 36" lighting structure that is 78 watts total. (1) 36" 39W 650nm Pink Roseate
(1) 36" 39W 6,000°K

I'm dosing 3 mL of Excel a day and a capful of regular Flourish once a week. I'll start on dry ferts in about a week or two.

I have a 30 gallon. The lighting is by AquaticLife. It is a 36" lighting structure that is 78 watts total. (1) 36" 39W 650nm Pink Roseate
(1) 36" 39W 6,000°K

I'm dosing 3 mL of Excel a day and a capful of regular Flourish once a week. I'll start on dry ferts in about a week or two.

I'd do a cap and half.

That appears to be a nutrient deficiency on the Java Fern. Do you know your nitrate and phosphate readings? Also with that many plants you need to get dry ferts going asap and in the mean time with that many plants you should up your dosing of Flourish to about 3x a week.

That appears to be a nutrient deficiency on the Java Fern. Do you know your nitrate and phosphate readings? Also with that many plants you need to get dry ferts going asap and in the mean time with that many plants you should up your dosing of Flourish to about 3x a week.

The phosphates are at 1.5 ppm. The nitrates are at 10 ppm.

Back
Top Bottom