Foreground Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plantedtankman

Aquarium Advice Freak
Would Micro Swords be a good foreground plant for a tank that is 16 inches in height. I have some Pogostemon Helferi too. I've also heard that Java Moss could be a foreground plant.

Would Micro Swords be a good foreground plant for a tank that is 16 inches in height. I have some Pogostemon Helferi too. I've also heard that Java Moss could be a foreground plant.

Micro swords are detritus and BBA collectors. Tried them multiple times, a waste it would never carpet. I just started Star. Repens and its an awesome plant. I think it's fairly new in the planted world. Bought it from aquariumplants.com

As with Pogostemon Helferi, staurogyne repens can be found at Petsmart now for a killer price (compared to what they went for online). I find that growing both these plants, you'll need moderate/high light w/ co2 (or glut alternative).

Micro swords are detritus and BBA collectors. Tried them multiple times, a waste it would never carpet. I just started Star. Repens and its an awesome plant. I think it's fairly new in the planted world. Bought it from aquariumplants.com

My micro swords are one of the best growing plants in my 10g tank atm. I would highly recommend them. I have however noticed that they really hate being moved one they are established in a spot.

The star repens is a fantastic foreground plant as well

My micro swords are one of the best growing plants in my 10g tank atm. I would highly recommend them. I have however noticed that they really hate being moved one they are established in a spot.

The star repens is a fantastic foreground plant as well

I like the look of the Micro Swords. They wouldn't get very big would they? I could always trim them. My foreground will consist of Banana Plants, Pogostemon Helferi, Micro Swords, and maybe Moss Balls. I've read that Moss Balls need high wattage, but they seem to be doing fine in my tank at 2.6 watts per gallon. I'll also look into star repens

my micro chain swords seem to be maxing out at about 2 inches and no, the moss balls don't need high wattage.

Hello planted...

I have Anubias nana for the foreground in my planted tanks. This is a shorter variety with nice leaves and doesn't need to be planted. I attached the plants to pieces of lava rock with thin rubber bands and just arrange them in small groups across the entire front of the tank. The roots grow into the porous rock and into the gravel. The rubber bands dissolve in the tank water. The nana is a slow grower and stays short. It's undemanding for lighting and needs no ferts other than those the fish produce. Perfect for a low tech, low light tank.

B

Hello planted...

I have Anubias nana for the foreground in my planted tanks. This is a shorter variety with nice leaves and doesn't need to be planted. I attached the plants to pieces of lava rock with thin rubber bands and just arrange them in small groups across the entire front of the tank. The roots grow into the porous rock and into the gravel. The rubber bands dissolve in the tank water. The nana is a slow grower and stays short. It's undemanding for lighting and needs no ferts other than those the fish produce. Perfect for a low tech, low light tank.

B

Are you talking about the petite variety. I have 2 Anubias Nana (regular) in my mid-ground.

Hey what about Dwarf Baby Tears? I have 2.6 watts per gallon T5 HO 6000 K.

Do you have bottom dwellers, or anything that tends to stay close to the substrate? Then no. HC is a PIA if you don't start it via the Dry Start Method. Growing it submersed results in constant uprooting, aggravation, and disappointing investment lol. Lovely plant but needs to be REALLY taken care of in the beginning.

Do you have bottom dwellers, or anything that tends to stay close to the substrate? Then no. HC is a PIA if you don't start it via the Dry Start Method. Growing it submersed results in constant uprooting, aggravation, and disappointing investment lol. Lovely plant but needs to be REALLY taken care of in the beginning.

I have 5 Cory Cats so they would probably dig it up.

How about dwarf sag? For easy foreground plants I also like crypt parva. Parva sure doesn't grow very fast but it does stay very small.

I wouldn't count out the HC because of cories. In my experience, cories didn't uproot my HC in the beginning. If you have the correct setup, HC is an easy plant to grow. Liquid Carbon/co2 and a good fert regeimen (i.e EI or PPS-Pro) is definately needed. What size tank do you have?

Edit: Nevermind. It's 16 inches.

I wouldn't count out the HC because of cories. In my experience, cories didn't uproot my HC in the beginning. If you have the correct setup, HC is an easy plant to grow. Liquid Carbon/co2 and a good fert regeimen (i.e EI or PPS-Pro) is definately needed. What size tank do you have?

Edit: Nevermind. It's 16 inches.

Well your one of the lucky SOB's who accomplished this feat, I commend you lol

Haha cories not uprooting it or it being an easy plant to grow?

Both! Mine were always uprooted and plagued by BBA. I also didn't use injected co2 at the time so now it might be different but my corries go nuts when food drops down so they rummage through everything. I've found S. repens to be really great in terms of rooting

Oh gotcha. Yeah, co2 does wonders ;) Im debating between Staurogyne and ripping out my HC carpet from my 5 gallon to put into my 17 gallon.

Oh gotcha. Yeah, co2 does wonders ;) Im debating between Staurogyne and ripping out my HC carpet from my 5 gallon to put into my 17 gallon.

Dude once Star Repens takes off it looks beautiful nice little bushy plant I love it

Back
Top Bottom