FresH2O's 20g planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Little project that can be done fast and for practice so you don't mess on the big expensive project.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry fresh, just wanted to give ya some variety I guess it's a little overboard haha. I forget I'm not shopping for my tanks...my silver dollars, hecqui, angel, and cories plow through food. feel free to trade for other stuff if you want!

Little project that can be done fast and for practice so you don't mess on the big expensive project.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

"We talking about practice..."
~Allen Iverson 4/15/2006
Actually, the cabinet mod is not necessary for the canister. I can always run the canister next to the cabinet (like I do with the CO2 setup). Just dragging my feet on which canister to purchase.
Tried one of the shrimp flavor Tetra nibbler tabs last night. It stuck the the glass for a while then fell off. Lukewarm reaction by the fish. The embers (little pigs with fins) ate and spit out it out. Checked it this morning and it was gone. Somebody enjoyed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sorry fresh, just wanted to give ya some variety I guess it's a little overboard haha. I forget I'm not shopping for my tanks...my silver dollars, hecqui, angel, and cories plow through food. feel free to trade for other stuff if you want!

? Nano fish = nano diet ??
I thought you robbed a pet store and had to off load some of the goods ? Believe me, it is all very appreciated!

I have about $50 in different food treats that I thought my centrals would love but nooooo they grabbed it and spit it out like a kid being forced to eat broccoli. so it just sits in the freezer to try again at a latter date.

The wafers I just let sink. When it's on the glass nobody bothers with it. Weirdos.

My snails and shrimp like zucchini. I'm going to try some in the planted tank for the Otos and amanos.

I noticed the Downoi growth not looking so good:
UU1AZAX.png

It was being affected by shading from the Limnophilia aromatica overgrowth in the right corner:
oEkBAJk.png

So I trimmed and moved the Limno to the left corner:
HuGeXpw.png

And the moved the Pogostemon erectus to the right corner:
b9Ibf7s.png

I suppose I could have simply trimmed the Limno to reduce the shading. However, it was pretty cramped in the corner with the DW and the other corner offered more free space. The result: more light for the Downoi.
Did a little trim & replant in general. Will probably be giving some Limno and Ludwigia sp red away soon. This pic was taken after the commotion and things are still cloudy.
taQROzo.png

I had a beautiful stem of limno, but I had to cut since it was shading a lot of my right corner plants. I replanted it hopefully it continues to grow the same way. Your tank always looks great btw.

Sent from my Z667T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Fresh if you think I can handle the limno and ludwigia I'll take it off your hands! Starting to piece together the 40 gal I just need a bag of cement, sealer, and some glue to get cranking.

Trouble in Paradise...
While feeding the fish I noticed one of the Furcatas stuck tail first in the HOB intake. I shut off the filter and dislodged it. It was dead and aside from bruising between the midsection and tail from the intake grate, it was colorful with fins intact. I quickly did a head count. All fish are present except some of the other furcatas. There should be 4 males and 1 female: 2 are swimming fine, 1 is swimming at the surface, 1 is dead and 1 is missing (female).
I quickly did a full parameter check:
Temp 79
pH 6.6 (might be slightly less than that)
Ammonia & Nitrite zero
Nitrate 10
Phosphate 5+ (5-10)
The only thing that appears odd is the low pH. The Fluval drop checker was light green and the glass DC was dark green. Bubble count 4-5 bps. I checked the log and surprisingly I only checked pH once in 2014 (7.2) and a few times in 2013 (~7.6).
Kind of stumped. Not much I can do with the one swimming at the surface (I did put it in a floating breeder to keep an eye on it). The dead one was swept to the bottom where it was greeted eagerly by snails and a berried Amano shrimp:
b2WFxfr.png

? Very sad day.

Thanks. Going over what what would have, could have changed. Dosing the same, some rearrangement of plants. Only thing recently was a small chunk of zucchini for the Otos and snails. That was two days ago. Last WC was Friday. Just wondering why this appears to be a species specific issue.

I think I just blew my ph out in my smaller tank and killed a few.cpds:( how often do you check ph? I never do.. I've become so accustomed to my routine that I fail to account for changes in source water and actual saturation sometimes.. when you acclimate these new fish?? You're doing so in a oh swing free tank huh?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think I just blew my ph out in my smaller tank and killed a few.cpds:( how often do you check ph? I never do.. I've become so accustomed to my routine that I fail to account for changes in source water and actual saturation sometimes.. when you acclimate these new fish?? You're doing so in a oh swing free tank huh?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

CPDs are fine (well have not checked the tank in the last hour or so).
Acclimated the Furcatas to the QT tank last month. In QT for about 2 weeks. 1-2 hour acclimation to the display tank. Been in the tank since 3/1. Even yesterday ALL of them were frolicking in the current.

I don't know a ton about furcatas but are they super aggressive breeders like some of the live bearers? Since it is a dead female it makes me sort of wonder a little bit of maybe the males are ganging up?

I don't know a ton about furcatas but are they super aggressive breeders like some of the live bearers? Since it is a dead female it makes me sort of wonder a little bit of maybe the males are ganging up?

Interesting take. I don't know. In the last few weeks I did notice a group of two or three go into the vegetation and just hang out. But there was no bullying or pecking order behavior amongst the males. The plants are pretty thick in some areas so I'm not surprised I could not locate the female. But for a dead male,....update, make that TWO dead males to succumb so quickly. Of course, it would be the more expensive specimens in the tank, relatively speaking.
The remaining pair of males are doing what they normally do: swim, hover, explore. All seems back to normal now. Just minus 3 Furcatas. I just need to pull the dead one from the breeder box and pry the other one from the shrimp and snails (they've reduced it a thin piece of cut bait).

Sorry to here the bad news fresh, that would suck if they ganged banged her to death. I found one of me neons dead today; I've had my neons for over 2 years, then today doneski.

Back
Top Bottom