From Anubias to more plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chykityta

Aquarium Advice Freak
Two of my tanks are planted only with a few Anubias. I therefore do not really stick them on the sand (the 10 gallon is all sand and the 20 gallon is half sand with half gravel). I have liquids like Flourish, Excel, and Leaf Zone, but don't doze any at the moment. I am thinking of changing the lighting on the tank but my fish hate light so can't go too bright. What are your recommendations? I have just bought Osmocote Plus capsules and would like to know how to transition to have plants which also consume nutrients from my sand.

I'm not clear on how much light you have, or what you're headed toward, so this may ore may not help.

For very low light, anubias are great. You might look at java ferns, too, though I find them much prettier when grown with indirect light (like from an east window).

If you add a bit more light, you can grow things like cryptocoryne wendtii, valisneria, or amazon sword. They all appreciate root fertilizers, like your osmocote capsules, and are widely available in pet shops and fish stores.

Sand doesn't really hold a lot of nutrients itself, so fertilizer tabs are probably the way to go unless you want to put in a layer of dirt or something and use sand as a cap.

Honestly, if it were me, I'd kind of start the other way around - go to the shops and see which plants you like the look of, then do some research to figure out what they need and whether you're willing to accommodate them. Look in their display tanks, too, not just the sale tanks, for ideas.

I'm not clear on how much light you have, or what you're headed toward, so this may ore may not help.

I only have one lamp with a Aqueon 50/50 bulb (not being used yet but plan on adding it to the 10 gallon tank). The only non-low tech plant I have there is Bacopa (could be sp. Caroliniana). I also added a Hygrophilia (Compact). I bought it last weekend.

The 20 gallon high has a fluorescent light (GE 97601 - F18DBX/841/ECO4P - 18 Watt Quad-Tube Compact Fluorescent Light Bulb, 4 Pin, 4100K). That one runs nightly for three hours as the tank gets indirect light throughout the day but still isn't enough for plantts other than Anubias and Ferns. Please help in letting me know what this light is enough for?

For very low light, anubias are great. You might look at java ferns, too, though I find them much prettier when grown with indirect light (like from an east window).

This is what I have now and want to improve at least a bit.

Honestly, if it were me, I'd kind of start the other way around - go to the shops and see which plants you like the look of, then do some research to figure out what they need and whether you're willing to accommodate them. Look in their display tanks, too, not just the sale tanks, for ideas.

This is the reason why I want to add fertilizers because I know that the Vallisneria and the Anacharis Narrow Leaf didn't survive due to the lack of nutrients in the sand. I also like the Sagitarias, Blyxa Japonica, and other plants that are not high light. Hence, why I would like to know if Osmocote Plus with the lightings I mentioned are enough or if I need something else.

GE 97601 - F18DBX/841/ECO4P - 18 Watt Quad-Tube Compact Fluorescent Light Bulb, 4 Pin, 4100K

Specs for the light are:

Brand: GE
Part Number: 97601
Item Weight: 3.2 ounces
Product Dimensions: 6.5 x 2.8 x 2 inches
Item model number: 97601
Color: Cool White
Shape: T4
Fixture Features: F18DBX/841/ECO4P - 18 Watt Quad-Tube Compact Fluorescent Light Bulb, 4 Pin, 4100K
Type of Bulb: CFL, Fluorescent
Luminous Flux: 1200
Wattage: 18 watts
Color Temperature: 4100 Kelvin

How can this light help with adding plants to my 20 Gallon High tank? There is a 26 Watt version of the bulb, but I believe that 18 W is the max for the fixture.

I am wowed by the lack of responses I have received here. Did I post the questions to the right section? If yes, here is what I asked in a more summarized form:

> Is a Aqueon 50/50 light and Osmocote Plus capsules enough for having plants other than Anubias/Ferns in a 10 gallon with only sand? If yes, what kind of plants?

> Is a "F18DBX/841/ECO4P - 18 Watt Quad-Tube Compact Fluorescent Light Bulb, 4 Pin, 4100K" in addition to Osmocote Plus on sand and gravel enough for having other plants other than Anubias/Ferns in a 20 gallon high tank? If yes, what kind of plants?

I don't think either light is very good for plants; they're in the wrong spectrum. In general you can probably do any low light plants still- java moss, jungle vals, bacopa are some that aren't anubias/fern.

What do you mean with being in the wrong spectrum? I have no idea how to deal with lighting and that's why I have only dealt with Anubias. The Bacopa is new and the PetCo associate mentioned he got it to grow in any light. I like Jungle Vallisneria, so may get some later down the road.

I bought some Cryptocoryne Wendtii and Temple plants on eBay and I am waiting to receive them this week. Will I need something else besides the lighting I have and the Osmocote Plus?

It has to do with the K rating which I think refers to the "color" of the light (wavelength really)? You want it around 6500K. Further outside of that spectrum plants cant use it so it's basically worthless. I don't understand this well myself, I've only just started learning it, but that's the gist of it.

I have no idea. :nono: I've only ever kept low light, low tech plants. I've never kept those plants or tried the bulbs you suggest. Sorry :facepalm:

Cryptocoryne wendtii will need osmocote Plus because it is a root feeder. Plants need at least 6500k to be able to grow. You can buy a simple CFL blub.

Osmocote is on its way.

Is CFL = Compact Fluorescent Light? If so, my 20 Gallon has one, just runs at 4100 K.

What does the 50/50 Aqueon light do?

Sorry for so many questions as this is the first time I get into this topic and most posts discuss terms I have no idea what they mean.

Actually, this is what I found on it. What does it mean? it is 10000k, which is over 6500k. So why is this not enough for my 10 gallon?

Aqueon 50/50 Mini Compact Fluorescent Lamp
Energy-Efficient Daylight/Bluelight

Features a combination of 10,000K Daylight and True Actinic Blue Light
Casts sparkling bright white rays and softer shades of blue light
Promotes photosynthesis in live plants and corals
For use with most incandescent aquarium light fixtures (E26 standard medium sockets)

Because the K number isn't a measurement of how much; it's a measurement of spectrum.

Imagine one of those baby toys with the shaped holes and blocks. A plant is like a box with a circle hole, and that a 10000k bubl is like a square block. No amount of square blocks will fill up the circle hole because it doesn't fit. And no amount of 10000k light will grow plants because it's the wrong kind; it won't "fit" the plant.

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Because the K number isn't a measurement of how much; it's a measurement of spectrum.

Imagine one of those baby toys with the shaped holes and blocks. A plant is like a box with a circle hole, and that a 10000k bubl is like a square block. No amount of square blocks will fill up the circle hole because it doesn't fit. And no amount of 10000k light will grow plants because it's the wrong kind; it won't "fit" the plant.

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+1 I agree with you. Plus the sun light produces 6500k. Which is why 6500k is called daylight when you light bulbs.

ok, Thanks.

Can you please provide a sample of a light with the same screw as the 50/50, which would work for Cryptocoryne Wendtii, Jungle Vallisneria, and Temple plants?

The one setup on the 20 gallon is rated at 18W max. I was able to find a bulb with the pin and connector for the lamp at 6500. The amazon post for it is: Sunlite PLD18/E/SP65K 18-Watt Compact Fluorescent Plug-In 4-Pin Light Bulb, 6500K Color (Sunlite PLD18/E/SP65K 18-Watt Compact Fluorescent Plug-In 4-Pin Light Bulb, 6500K Color - - Amazon.com).

The one setup for the 10 gallon is rated at 15 W max. This one was a challenge but I found a common connection bulb that remained under that max. The amazon post for it is: Philips 823031 CFL Light Bulb 13W T2 Twister Daylight 6500K, 60 Watt Equivalent (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0... 60 hz 6500&qid=1447980624&ref_=sr_1_9&sr=8-9).

Thank you all for your help! I will assume that adding Osmocote Plus to the sand and or gravel suffices for adding nutrients as well as a 6500K bulb for each tank. If you feel I missed something or should add something else, please do let me know.

Back
Top Bottom