Can you trim/prune anubias?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stormisan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So my betta tank just got a big plant and hardscape upgrade, and for my centrepiece plant, I got an anubias bartari, planted right at the centre of my tank, attached onto some driftwood. At that time I thought Anubias was a slow-growing plant, and even if it did grow fast, it wouldn't suddenly develop a bunch of leaves anyway.

Well fast forward a week or two later, my anubias went WILD. 3~5 new large leaves shot up out of the water level, about 10+ cm in height, and 8+ cm in width, and they grew so much that now one of them is practically covering my light, leaving none for my other plants. Plus, I also still have some excess tannins from my driftwood, making what's left of the light even harder to reach the rest of my tank.

So I'm thinking, is cutting off the one big anubias leaf that's blocking my light okay?
I'm not good with plants and have had some bad experiences with them before, so I want to make sure that's not going to harm my plant in any way. If I can, is there a specific place I would need to cut it, and would another new leaf develop from the cut stem?

Thanks!

If the plant is new i wouldnt go removing healthy growth until the plant has had chance to settle in. But no reason you cant prune an anubias. Just cut off the leaf with some scissors at the base.

If you cut off some rhyzome with a few leafs attached no reason why you cant cultivate some new anubias plants if that's your wish.

Back
Top Bottom