Giant Algae Growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds like you have the right idea going in. Keep us informed - if you don't see any improvement in 4-5 days there are more drastic measures that can be taken.

Did a 50% change this morning, not a whole lot of difference so far, but I'll update. Lights have been off the whole time, I've continued dosing excel and comprehensive. If things don't start to change over the next two days, should I start getting worried?

Not time to panic yet - but don't dose the excel or comprehensive till the lights come back on. With no light, plants are not uptaking nutrients.

Not time to panic yet - but don't dose the excel or comprehensive till the lights come back on. With no light, plants are not uptaking nutrients.

I'm not sure about not dosing excel. It's algaecidal properties might very well come from exposure and not be related to the photocycle. Because of this, dosing Excel in a blackout could boost the effects by further stressing the algae.

I think (based purely on speculation) that the half life of Excel in water is based on its breakdown and absorption by heterotrophic and chemoautotrophic bacteria. I just sent an inquiry to Seachem asking them about this.

But yea, ditch the comprehensive dosing.

Makes sense - I think it is an exposure thing. My next step was going to be to suggest spot dosing the excel - it is much more effective as an algaecide that way as opposed to just dosing the tank.

Hm, interesting, ok, no more Comprehensive, but I'll keep the Excel coming. More later.

fort384 said:
Makes sense - I think it is an exposure thing. My next step was going to be to suggest spot dosing the excel - it is much more effective as an algaecide that way as opposed to just dosing the tank.

What do you mean with spot dosing the excel? Directly into the plants or algae?

fort384 said:
Yes - using a medicine dropper or syringe.

So you don't need to put the rocks or plants (with algae) out of the water? This means that you submerge the syringe into the water column and "spray" the excel as close as possible to the algae?

That's interesting, I'm definitely going to have to keep that in mind if things don't start clearing up. What is it in the excel that kills algae when it's still beneficial to plants?

That's the million dollar question. I believe that it was a product that was originally designed as a carbon supplement that 'happened' to be an algaecide. Since seachem doesn't bill it as such, it's not regulated by the FDA, etc. That's kinda like how Prime works with nitrate; they don't really know how it works, and they don't market it as such, but if you happen to need to detoxify nitrate...... winkwinknudgenudge .

Yea, Seachem is a bit like that.

aqua_chem said:
That's the million dollar question. I believe that it was a product that was originally designed as a carbon supplement that 'happened' to be an algaecide. Since seachem doesn't bill it as such, it's not regulated by the FDA, etc. That's kinda like how Prime works with nitrate; they don't really know how it works, and they don't market it as such, but if you happen to need to detoxify nitrate...... winkwinknudgenudge .

Yea, Seachem is a bit like that.

Haven't heard that about trates but they say that about trites if you dose it 5 times the recommended amount. I used it in this manner a couple different times in emergency situations with success.

So it's been a bit more than a week and everything is cleared up, thanks so much!!! You've both been a huge help.

Back
Top Bottom