Glenc is a cheater!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hashbaz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Glenc, please share your secrets in how to get such brilliant colors (or "colours" as you Canadian like to spell it :wink: ) out of your plants?

A little background: Glenc is a VERY genereous person and sent me some plants including Lugwigia Palustris. But the Ludwigia that he gave me is closer to orange than the beautiful pink/purple that it was in his tank.

What is your secret man?!?!?!

What are your tank specs: pH, kH, GH (Ca and Mg if you know them), CO2, lighting intensity and Kelvin rating, phosphates, nitrates, fertilizer routines, camera type and settings, photoshop techniques...... and anything else that might help us.

Thanks.

lol glen is blessed with miracle water. i seem to get the same water near me aswell since my plants refuse to stay green, not quite as nice as his but close. i know that glen has a very dedicated dosing schedule that he dialed in super accuratly with lamott kits. and he has alot of time and dedication aswell. i dont want to speak for him but his generosity has rubbed off on me soo much. here is ashot of some of the l.repens he sent me a while ago.
stunning as always.
img_727202_0_046da613eddde5153e5a640de9a2c577.jpg

My L pantanal ios fine with plain standard EI dosing and ADA AS:
Regards,
Tom Barr

Attachments

• 100kbredplant_115.jpg
    100kbredplant_115.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 26
OMG ... those pics make me want to go back to plastic or silk plants ! Simply stunning.

(ps - only kidding - I like my green spot algae covered anubias LOL)

Thanks Mr. funk, you can speak for me anytime. Nice pic!! I PM'd hashbaz before I saw this post and told him pretty much the same thing you did, It's our miracle water!! I was fanatical with testing and dosing, re testing and dosing again, not so much anymore, no need. I learned alot, screwed things up and fixed em, still learning tons every day.

Thanks to EI, things are alot easier, and still nice and red!
Thanks Tom.
That L. pantanal is one of the prettiest plants I've ever seen.

Forgot to mention something. All my pics were and are still taken with the same old crappy digital camera I got for my 40th b-day. That was 5 years ago! Yikes! It's a Sony cybershot, 1.3 mega pixels. Nothing fancy. I don't own photo shop and am not into photograpy at all. I'm into plants. What you see is real. :)

Also a GlenC fan and think he's being modest :)

I like to hope hitchiker snails from gurus carry their mojo...

czcz said:
Also a GlenC fan and think he's being modest :)

I like to hope hitchiker snails from gurus carry their mojo...

Glenc is very selfish. He must have picked all the snails off of the plants he mailed me. :lol:

edit:
I was sitting on the throne pondering the meaning of life when I had an epiphany... I now know Glenc's secret to stunning plants. Its not fertilizers, camera skills, 'scaping skills, or anything like that.

ITS KARMA!

When Glenc sent me some plants (and wouldn't let me reimburse him for shipping), I looked at the shipping label to see how much shipping cost him and only the did I realize the full depth of his generosity. Stunning plants are just Karma's way of rewarding his kindness and generosity to his fellow hobbyists.

hashbaz said:
I was sitting on the throne pondering the meaning of life when I had an epiphany... I now know Glenc's secret to stunning plants. Its not fertilizers, camera skills, 'scaping skills, or anything like that.

ITS KARMA!

Indeed...I was tripping all over myself trying to figure it out. I just sent a PM asking for a tad bit... :wink:

lol i think glen is bcome the new travis just on a smaller tank scale lol. i have recieved many of things from glen and will soon add a 65 watt coralife fixture he said i can borrow untill i dont need it lol. i just cant get over ow awesome he is. here is a pic of the man himself and me. i was still glowing from the 8 bags og plants and the extra filter and the extra light and bulbs and diffusers and and and.... well all the stuff he brought me lol.
glens on the left and i am on the right. u can see my guppy tank to the right of me and the 20 gal is behind glen. the guppy tank is now the proud host my new yellow lab fry :) enjoy!! i am sure glen had hope this picture wouldnt surface again lol.
img_727757_0_5b47d23061e9320ce25c9e5a7ccff6ac.jpg

Holy cow, is my face red! :oops: Cut it out already!
It is my pleasure to help others out if I can, just like the rest of you. If you all only knew how long I lurked around here reading posts and taking information before I actually joined up. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if it wasn't for the inspiration and advice from all of you my tanks would not exist.
If only the spirit of comradery and generosity that exists here existed more outside this forum and into our interaction with other people in our everyday life... Sorry, you get sappy in your old age!

For me, real red plants =
Low N03, 5 to 10 ppm constant, tricky when your tank uses 2 to 4ppm per day
1.5 to 2 ppm P04, higher side is better.
20 K
35 to 40 ppm C02 constant, that was with DIY, two 2L bottles. Change 1 bottle every week.
Combined with whatever is in my rock hard water, no or very little micro dosing, maybe 1 ml TMG once a week.
Also use quantum lightning rod bulbs, aqua flora plus. 20 wt 6700k. 4x20 over a 20 gallon high. Sometimes swap out two 6700k for 11,000 k lightning rods as well, didn't seem to make much difference, just more blue. All that works for me when I have the energy to keep it up. :)

Glenc said:
I was fanatical with testing and dosing, re testing and dosing again, not so much anymore, no need. I learned alot, screwed things up and fixed em, still learning tons every day.

Thanks to EI, things are alot easier, and still nice and red!
Thanks Tom.
That L. pantanal is one of the prettiest plants I've ever seen.

Seems most folks spend way too much time obsessing about things that do not matter nearly as much as they think they do and should rather focus on whole systems.

Few of the best plant growers and best scapers in the world are much less concerned.

They add more of this for plants, or less of that for the fish.
There are few things that fall outside this simple sentance.

Pruning, general mainteance etc.
Yes, it's work, but this gardening style hobby requires more work than many assume.

Non CO2 tanks are easier and for the more patient, but well groomed CO2 enriched tanks take a lot more work than most realize.

EI is "back learned".
I was doing it for some years prior and figured it going back and testing etc. So it came more from the less scientific approach and observation, then it was analyzed, not the reverse as most assume. Dutcgh scapers alsodid this but less knowningly from any account I've found to date, they had high PO4/NO3 in their tap and they simply added some Traces and K and that took care of most things.

:idea:

Whether it's in the sediment or the water column.........or both....matters not to the plant, as long as they have access to enough nutrients for a given growth rate.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Back
Top Bottom