Name that deficiency! Stumped.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nope. :) I probably phrased my post badly. So:

Are you still dosing dry?

I have two sets of thoughts there.
1. Lets assume for a moment that micros were your limiting nutrient, because of deficiency indicators earlier and that you've attributed better color and lots of growth since dosing CSM+B. Maybe the cloudiness is because something else bottomed out, and now the micros aren't being taken up quickly enough.

2. To narrow down if the tinge is CSM+B, you should cut back or skip a couple doses, while continuing macro dosing. The danger here is you're limiting micros again.

I am inclined to suggest #2, because as you've seen already, most plants recover quickly after addressing the micro deficiency, so it is a low risk experiment.

Bonus of halving your dose is you'll be able to observe how the plants respond to that level of micros. Then it is easy to apply those observations to your next mix with easy (5-10mL) dosing.

Short answer: I think you should try dosing less CSM+B and see what happens.

HTH

czcz,

Thanks for clearing that up. I have never dosed dry. I took your advice and have been mixing 1/2teaspoon into 4oz. and adding 10ml every other day.

I've really got to get a picture from up top into the tank of my pennywort/moneywort (lilipad type plant). I'm stumped on what deficiency its showing. I can't imagine its a Ca or Mg thing since I do minimum 25% PWC each week and normally once a month a 50% PWC and my GH is up around 10. It could be a K deficiency, but I'm dosing a good amount during the week (I boost my KH with KCO3 which gives me K, and also dose KSO4 and KPO4). The obvious limiting reagent would be nitrAte since I normally am slightly above 10ppm by the AP test (I know its not very accurate), but I have a high bioload and there is always a good amount of fish waste on the bottom which I assume will supply both nitrAte from the bacteria and ammonia directly from the decay). I also add KNO3 from time to time when my nitrAtes appear to be close to 10ppm.

This whole time I had assumed it was an Fe issue and so the CSM+B dosing of ~0.18ppm Fe (10ml) every other day should have fixed that. It's one of those deficiencies that could be any or all of the problems but since I can test for phosphate, nitrAte, GH, and I'm dosing a LOT of CSM+B, I'm kind of stumped at what could be my problem!!!

I promise to try to get a tank shot when I get home from work today, its been hectic recently at home...

Thanks again,

justin

About time, here's the pictures of my "deficiency"

Notice the green veins but yellow leaf tissue:

deficient1.jpg

Notice the crinkly leaves:

deficient2.jpg

Now my deficiency notes say that the yellow leaf tissue with green veins can be an iron problem (not likely since I'm dosing a LOT of iron with the CSM+B mix) or a Magnesium deficiency.

The crinkly leaves issue from my notes say a calcium deficiency.

So I'm stumped. I have a GH of around 10 degrees so my calcium and magnesium should definately not be limiting reagents, and I do 25% PWC at least once a week, with 50% changes at least once a month (normally twice a month). I've also JUST tested my tank water for GH (2 days after a 25% PWC) and I'm still showing 10degrees GH. Am I right to assume that with levels this high there is no way I can be deficient in either calcium or magnesium??

So again....I'm stumped...

Any help appreciated!

If the yellowing is on the older growth of H. leucocephala/Brazillian pennywort, look closer at N and P. I may have started you with emersed growth (I do not remember), and when converting back to submerged it stays in that crinkly stage and sends out new growth, then the old emersed/crinkly growth is best just removed. If you grew that leaf submerged and have not been training H. leucocephala to grow out the tank, agree Ca is a good place to look.

It is possible all of the GH is made up of Mg or Ca with none of the other. Unlikely, but certainly possible. To eliminate the possibility, 1) finding a water quality report or 2) getting an Mg or Ca test to get those specific levels would be wise. Otherwise, dosing Ca or Mg and observing should tell you if you need to investigate further. Barr says it is more common that Mg needs dosing than Ca in most US tap, just FYI. They seem to have a relationship with one another, hence certain guru's desire to adjust ratios between Ca and Mg at 5:1. Barr is not one of those gurus though and says the ratio is unimportant.

In dire need of a trim but here is the tank as of 10min ago (notice the cloudy water, but it is NOT green water):

(with and without flash, click for fullsize image)

2tank052706.jpg

tank052706.jpg

czcz, this is new growth that is getting crinkly. I had thought about whether all of the GH was due to one or the other, just figured with such a high level there would have to be some of both (even if it was heavily skewed). I'll have to see if I can get a water report from the township or something. Anyone know of reliable test kits for ONLY Mg or Ca and that are inexpensive?

Jchillin said:
The problem with dosing KNO3 is that my tap water has 5-10ppm nitrAte and I have a large fishload. Those 2 compounded means I can never do a water change to lessen the nitrAte level (to then dose KNO3) like most people. This is great since I don't have to dose nitrAte near as much as most, but makes it a pain for something like K addition.

Now I see what you mean. You need pure K without N. Is it possible to find this commercially?
instead of KNO3 THIS IS K2O

Back
Top Bottom