Good Plants that would Contrast my Current Ones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Usually 1-2 months depending on how fast the plants are using them.

I might have skimmed over it but are you planning to dose ferts also?

I already dose PPS-Pro. Are the root tabs not necessary with those ferts plus the Excel?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I like to use both with heavy root feeders but some people just use a good substrate and go with ei or pps

Sent from Peabody's rabbit hole.

Okay. I think it'd be a good idea for me to use root tabs anyway. I read online that substrate like Eco-Complete loses its nutrients after so many months to a year. I've had this tank up for over a year, so I'll purchase some root tabs from you eventually.

Edit: Actually, the Eco-Complete shouldn't lose its nutrients. I read something wrong haha. I'll still use the root tabs anyway. I don't think any harm would come about.

Reinecki and ludwigia repens would both be great for filling in the middle with some red. I can't really suggest tiger lily since the leaves grow so large and fast, they tend to encompass whatever area they're placed. I have a mini red tiger lily (super short stem) and it has its own 5% of my tank floor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Reinecki and ludwigia repens would both be great for filling in the middle with some red. I can't really suggest tiger lily since the leaves grow so large and fast, they tend to encompass whatever area they're placed. I have a mini red tiger lily (super short stem) and it has its own 5% of my tank floor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've read that those lotus plants do need an area to themselves. I'd be willing to get one, but I like the look of AR and AR mini better. What are its demands (lighting, ferts, etc...)? According to this graphic, I have high lighting: ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404366170.271818.jpg Although, I don't think that I do since I couldn't get DHG to carpet. I don't know, maybe I didn't give it long enough (I did have some die back and some of the little ones where not rooting in). I believe I have medium lighting. I think I might have to take some of my Amazon Swords out to create room for more background plants too. I've never really seen them in aquascapes before either (I like them though).

They definitely appreciate solid lighting. Lighting quantity changes based on the height of the tank. Mine are under moderate-high light with vigilant glut and nutrient dosing, and a thick organic soil under sand substrate. They haven't grown incredibly fast, but their color is solid. For being in the middle of the tank, I'd definitely suggest standard AR. AR mini would need higher PAR (more light).

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They definitely appreciate solid lighting. Lighting quantity changes based on the height of the tank. Mine are under moderate-high light with vigilant glut and nutrient dosing, and a thick organic soil under sand substrate. They haven't grown incredibly fast, but their color is solid. For being in the middle of the tank, I'd definitely suggest standard AR. AR mini would need higher PAR (more light).

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay. I have 2 inches of substrate of substrate at the moment. Is that enough? One thing I regret is getting black Flourite sand; I don't think it helps the plants that much. I'm glad I got Eco-Complete on top of it. I'll try the standard AR as I can get it at Petsmart.

The plant ideas, tips and suggestions are good.

For contrast you might have too much green because of your back ground. You may want to think about a deep graduated blue, black or a frosted look. There are many other styles too like burlap, bamboo screen, and decorative metal for screens and doors. Like this kind of stuff...(there are lots more styles than this one)
MD Building Products 36 in. x 36 in. Cloverleaf Aluminum Sheet in Silver-57166 at The Home Depot.

Yeah, I think I have way too many Amazon Swords. I need to get rid of some of them. Some Cyperus helferi, Amazon Swords, Ludwigia repens, Rotala rotundifolia, and a Crinum calamistratum should be a good mix, right?

Tomorrow I will be receiving some new background plants. I'll get getting Ludwigia repens, Rotala rotundifolia, a Crinum calamistratum, and some Cyperus helferi. I was wondering where I should place them. I'm open to taking some Amazon Swords out, but I'd like to keep a couple. From left to right, tell me what you think the order of the plants should be. Input is appreciated! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404698239.011671.jpg

Back
Top Bottom