Gradual 55 rebuild

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pitcus cats are really cool and I just found out my lfs has them! If I go that route will they be ok with the rainbow shark?

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Josh7 do I need to have all one type of rainbows or can I do 3 groups of 2 to brig it up to 6 total?

I think you would be better off getting the same species and yea that catfish should be fine mine live with a Jack Dempsey and Red Tailed Black shark just fine anyway.

Ok guys I haven't got a great handle on stocking yet so tell me what you think of this. Feel free to add better suggestions.
1 to 2 angelfish
1m blue gourami
1f opaline gourami
6 turquoise rainbows
6 glass catfish
4 pictus cats
1rainbow shark
6 to 8 kuhli loaches.
To much? Room to add more?

Oh and 1 albino bristle nose pleco

I would not do either gourami and then your tank sounds perfect! Also I wouldn't do the loaches. To many bigger aggressive bottom feeders the little guys couldn't handle it.

I already have the gouramis 1 angel the rainbow shark the pleco and 2 rainbows any combo that would work with what I have?

Add more rainbows and that's probably it. Possibly you could add 3 pictus cats.

Petco has 50% off all fish sat so I might go try to finish up my stocking!

Well new update time guys! Added some new stock getting ready to rehome some also. Plus added some new plants. Give me some aquascape advice guys! I'm not completely pleased with the look but don't know what to add or move.
I'm thinking of a stock list something like 12 neon tetras 12 harliquin rasboras 6 glass cats 2 or 4 pictus cats 1 albino bristlenose pleco and 1 to 2 centerpiece fish. I can't decide what I want for my centerpiece though. I have a male blue spot gourami a female opaline gourami and 1 angel. I can keep one or more trade in all or idk lol Ideas?

I've decided the rainbow shark is getting rehomed he's chasing the pictus cats nonstop, and the preacox rainbows are going to my grandmas rainbow tank.

So tell me what y'all think!

Attachments

• 1393790880367.jpg
    1393790880367.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 1393790898981.jpg
    1393790898981.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 1393790920329.jpg
    1393790920329.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 1393790942540.jpg
    1393790942540.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 67
It's looking Good Keeshy. You have some nice driftwood that fits the space well. It looks like a fairly big tank so it will take time for it to fill with plants unless you buy or get freebies from members on here. Is that dwarf chain sword planted in different areas of the tank? It's a nice easy to grow plant if that is what you have. Once DCS starts sending out runners it goes berserk with how quickly you can pile up new plants. The runner shoots that new plants grow along can also be bent into the direction you want new plants starting from as well. I have a grove of DCS in both of my planted tanks and i'm starting to have trouble with finding where to plant the excess ones.

As far as aquascaping goes. Here are a few ideas to think about.
- Use rocks and driftwood as walls to elevate areas of substrate like platforms in the tank. It makes the tank floor look more natural to me if it has high points and low points rather than level substrate all the way across. I have tried to create an ampitheatre look in one tank using the platform idea to create a half moon foreground and elevated areas all round the back and side of the tank. Choosing some nicely shaped stones can make your walls a feature too.

- Add a few feature stones to contrast with the driftwood. The driftwood in there seems to create a long line across the tank so a few stones behind it that added height might look good and break up the line a little.

- You could flip the branching driftwood so the branches are reaching towardsthe top of the tank. I love moss covered overhangs so i'd probably give this a try and see how the wood looks elevated if you can find a way to prop it up/anchor it.

- Removable stones. If you are like me you will want as much of the tank to have healthy plants filling the space, but i have added a lot of small stones to the foreground in freshly set up tanks and it can make a sparsely planted foreground look like it has more plants. As the plants fill in you can remove the stones.

As i said though i think the tank looks good and is coming along nicely. Keep up the good work and don't be afraid to look at a thousand pictures of planted tanks and steal the ideas from each picture you like. I could safely say that none of my ideas have been original but i have adapted many of them to create something i like in each tank.

Some great advice there, I think the back wall of the tank looks pretty empty and I'd plant some tall growing plants there personally.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Awesome advise guys! I really appreciate it. Alan I've turned the dw every way I can and I just don't seem to like it any other way. Love the terrace idea but it's a dirted tank any ideas on how I could add then without taking the tank apart? The current plant list is 2 good size dwarf sag and 3 tiny ones. One clump of rotalla. Ludwigia repans and jungle val. This is a very low light setup and I can't really invest in a better light system anytime soon. Everything I have seems to be growing good and quickly except the jungle val. I had originally had it covering the back wall but the only places it seems to work are the very front and either side.of the tank. So any ideas on different types of plants and good placement for them? Sorry my picks look awful in the day light

Attachments

• 1394645125041.jpg
    1394645125041.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 1394645142762.jpg
    1394645142762.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 1394645162962.jpg
    1394645162962.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 65
If you only wanted to add more substrate to the top you could place the stones/wood for your wall then lower the substrate through the water inside a cup so you can place it neatly. Adding more dirt after the water is in would be messy so i wouldn't try it either. The plant roots will still find nutrients in your gravel but you may have to poke them in a bit further to find the soil.

Excellent List of Low Light Plants
Above is a really extensive list of plants that do well in low light i saw on the planted tank. Loads of people have added their thoughts about many plants so it might have better options than the plants i know. I'd have a bit of a look at that thread.

I only have 4 types of stem plant at the moment which are Pennywort, Ludwigia Repens, Sunset hygro (which is my favorite stem plant) and Cabomba. Placing them is a matter of seeing where you like each plant in relation to it's neighbour. I try to make the leaves contrast so it is easy to make each type of plant stand out a bit. Both my Ludwigia and Sunset Hygro have similar leaf size and shape so i don't place them near each other. I place them like this. Ludwigia is first--> Pennywort (round leaves)--> Cabomba (delicate leaf filaments) --> lastly Sunset Hygro (long flat leaves). For midground plants some crypts are good and most do well enough in low light and don't need as much trimming as stems either which is nice. In a 55g tank you have the height to use Dwarf chain sword as a foreground i would think. And the DCS has gone great in both my low light tanks. It's not as compact as many other foreground plants but it is easy to grow and has lovely light green leaves.

If you want to see your Ludwigia take on some different color then adding a little iron can be a big help. The top 6-8cm of my L. Repens browns up nicely when i keep dosing iron and the underside of the leaves turns a lovely pink too. Both Water Sprite and Water Wisteria would be good plants to add early on. They both grow rapidly and will fill a lot of your space quickly.

If you only wanted to add more substrate to the top you could place the stones/wood for your wall then lower the substrate through the water inside a cup so you can place it neatly. Adding more dirt after the water is in would be messy so i wouldn't try it either. The plant roots will still find nutrients in your gravel but you may have to poke them in a bit further to find the soil.

Excellent List of Low Light Plants
Above is a really extensive list of plants that do well in low light i saw on the planted tank. Loads of people have added their thoughts about many plants so it might have better options than the plants i know. I'd have a bit of a look at that thread.

I only have 4 types of stem plant at the moment which are Pennywort, Ludwigia Repens, Sunset hygro (which is my favorite stem plant) and Cabomba. Placing them is a matter of seeing where you like each plant in relation to it's neighbour. I try to make the leaves contrast so it is easy to make each type of plant stand out a bit. Both my Ludwigia and Sunset Hygro have similar leaf size and shape so i don't place them near each other. I place them like this. Ludwigia is first--> Pennywort (round leaves)--> Cabomba (delicate leaf filaments) --> lastly Sunset Hygro (long flat leaves). For midground plants some crypts are good and most do well enough in low light and don't need as much trimming as stems either which is nice. In a 55g tank you have the height to use Dwarf chain sword as a foreground i would think. And the DCS has gone great in both my low light tanks. It's not as compact as many other foreground plants but it is easy to grow and has lovely light green leaves.

If you want to see your Ludwigia take on some different color then adding a little iron can be a big help. The top 6-8cm of my L. Repens browns up nicely when i keep dosing iron and the underside of the leaves turns a lovely pink too. Both Water Sprite and Water Wisteria would be good plants to add early on. They both grow rapidly and will fill a lot of your space quickly.

Sweet thanks a ton!

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom