Gradual 55 rebuild

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KeeshyRee

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok guys so hers the set up! This is my 55 gal has been up and running for a year. I recently tore it down and dirted it and capped it with black diamond blasting sand. Took all my swordtails and there 30+ babbies in and traded them in for some new stock.
So here is my current setup
Dirted tank with black sand.
Hard scape diy driftwood and a rock I'm going to cover in moss.
Plants jungle val 1rotala stem cut from my other tank and some java moss.
Lighting 2 18" T8 grow bulbs 6500k 2 led strips 6500k stuck on the underside of my hood
Filter Aqua tech 30/60
Stock 1 Veil angel 1 rainbow shark 1blue 3 spot gourami 1 opaline gourami 1m 1f rainbow fish I think praecox but not sure and 1 common 2" pleco.

Game plan add 2 more of the led strips.
Slowly add plants as I can plus cuttings from my 14.
Stock planning in rehoming the pleco as soon as I find a smaller one I like and in a decent price range and adding another angel.
Now here's where I'm stuck! I love Dennison barbs but they are to big and expensive for what I'm working with. So thinking maybe a school of rummy nose tetras and a school of harliquin rasboras. Some kuhli loaches or some other type of neat bottom dweller that's not corries and will work with the rainbow. Plus a small school of glass cats. My questions are who swims at what levels how many can I do in my schools yadda yadda yadda that type of thing. My goal is to have a peaceful community with activity at all levels good eye catching colors plus some odd neat fish like the glass cats and kuhlis. Low light plant ideas also would help.
Shoot me you thoughts and ideas!

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1391715743105.jpg
    1391715743105.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 139
The common Pleco will outgrow your tank in time they reach 16 inches. But I would add more rainbow fish get like 4 more then I would do a large school of 12-14 kuhli loaches for the bottom. Then maybe add a school of 8 harlequin rasboras.

I know on the pleco that's why I said I was relocating him as soon as I can get a smaller one I like. I'm in southern IL so not much choice :-( I'm debating on the rainbows not sure if I want to keep the 2 I have and up the amount or trade them in and get a larger amount of smaller fish. My rainbows show little to no color during the day just at dawn and dusk and I want a good color mix

Well I would trade then in for smaller more colorful fish look into harlequin rasboras, cherry barbs, cardinal tetras, and rummy nose tetras.

I think I will. Can you guys give me an idea of the levels most of these guys are going to swim at? are the ones I suggested and you guys have suggested going to leave empty spots in my tank or should that pretty much round out the tank?

Great thanks

Okay so my angel isn't doing good my aquarium test levels are great but I'm thinking my ph is just to high to keep angels :-( if I loose this guy I'm not trying then again! So now I'm trying to think of a different stocking plan. Can sombody tell me if I can do a partly rainbow tank and do 1m 1f each of bosami turquoise and praecox rainbows or do they need larger groups of each?

H could get a bichir too. There great fish and should be good in a 55 but it might eat small fish

Oh I like that idea!

I get good growth from Ludwigia repens, my Anubias (variety is a mystery to me), dwarf chain sword, Pennywort, Crypts (brown Wendtii in particular has grown fastest for me in low light), Java moss and Cabomba.

I like Harlequins and Kuhli loaches too. they get along fine together but i never see them interact. I'm not much help with stocking advice.

The plant advice really helps! I was wondering about Ludwigia I think I'll try it!

Okay so my angel isn't doing good my aquarium test levels are great but I'm thinking my ph is just to high to keep angels :-( if I loose this guy I'm not trying then again! So now I'm trying to think of a different stocking plan. Can sombody tell me if I can do a partly rainbow tank and do 1m 1f each of bosami turquoise and praecox rainbows or do they need larger groups of each?

Just FYI - I've bred angles in high ph water so they can adapt. I have a large tank full of angles with ph above 8.

Hi so any ideas on what I'm doing wrong with mine? This is how bad he's looking

Attachments

• 1391878442660.jpg
    1391878442660.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 84
I think a nice bottom dweller fish. Like a bichir since u do have a 55 gallon here's minesImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391879259.499414.jpg or even some pitcus catfish or a peacock eel would look lovely

Hi so any ideas on what I'm doing wrong with mine? This is how bad he's looking

Did you just get it? They can be tricky to buy as not all are stout enough to handle sudden changes. I usually had better luck when I bought a few together in groups of 3 or 4. After getting a couple of groups like that I suddenly found babies in the tank.

If the angel doesn't Make it I wouldn't get another I would definitely add more rainbows still if you want to keep them. But yes a bichir would be a cool bottom dweller personally I like Pictish cats more I would do a group of 4 if you get them.

If the angel doesn't Make it I wouldn't get another I would definitely add more rainbows still if you want to keep them. But yes a bichir would be a cool bottom dweller personally I like Pictish cats more I would do a group of 4 if you get them.

Yea I love my bichir very interesting and is pretty active but the pitcus catfish would look pretty sweet

Ya I got him last Sat. He is still active and eating so I hope he'll come out of it! I'm really thinking about the bichir or eal will they do ok with my rainbow?

Rainbow shark I mean

Back
Top Bottom