Green Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FawnN

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can anyone tell me what I"m doing wrong?? My water is crystal clear in my 80 gallon tank, but I've got this light green tint in the water that is truly bugging me. :?

It is heavily planted with 4 discus, 2 angels, 1 shark, 5 columbian tetras, 3 bristlenose plecos and 3 kribs.

I do a weekly gravel cleaning and two, 35% water changes a week.

What's going on?

Sounds like a typical algae bloom. Excessive nutrients in the water. If I remember, you are injecting CO2? I would check the phosphate and NO3 levels to see if they are out of whack. 20ppm NO3 and 1.0 ppm PO4 are fine.

In the meantime, small 20% PWC's are in order.

I already do two, 35% water changes, sometimes 3 times a week and it doesn't seem to help.

I haven't begun any CO2 injections. All I have for plants right now is root tabs.

If you are 2.25 wpg or over the CO2 should really help, in conjuction with a good nitrate - phosphate ratio.

There may be a problem with balance and there may not be. I thought everything was out of whack with mine and over the past 3 weeks my almost blue water has gone back to almost clear. The only noticeable change is the anacharis taking root finally. I think it might be a transition point when the plants decide to finally establish themselves and the green water takes over until your plants can get back to using up the nutrients. By all means, find out what the levels are and make sure something isn't out of whack but don't stress out if things are normal and you can't control it. It should start to go away once your plants get a little happier and established or reestablished.

I did another water change last night and did a test before bed.

0 ammonia
0 nitrites
and very minimal nitrates.

The green is a very light, light tinge, but enough to bug me.

I think you need to test the phosphates. I think that will help sort out what is going on. How many wpg?

NO3 ratio to PO4 needs to be about 10 to 1.. if you have very minimal NO3 if you have any PO4 it will be a pain to get your ratio in line.. your going to need to dose some NO3 to fix this situation.. and test for PO4.. HTH

MY water started off with that light tinge of green/blue. Then it got so bad it was almost impossible to see the back of the tank. Then slowly, and I mean over the last 2 months, it has completely gone away. Why, I have no idea but my plants are happier and taking root. And my nitrates were always over 40, no ammonia and nitrites. GH did go way up after the green water went away so maybe it is related to that?

Back
Top Bottom