Hello Black Beard Algae!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blucat

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hmmm.... I have noticed for the first time, mild black beard algae growing along the surface floating leaves of my val plants. I'd like to get rid of it while it is in its early stages, so what advice can you give me?

I think there are 2 possible causes.
Maybe my city tap water has had more hardness stuff added into it... because my other planted tank I have also noticed an increase in algae, but not of the BBA type.
The other is reason maybe that my phosphate removing filter sponge needs changing. I have replaced it with a fresh sponge today.

I was contemplating perhaps adding more plants or buying some more chemical to remove phosphates and other stuff. This helped to remove the green water algae I had previously.

Are there any other effective ways to remove it? thanks for any advice.

how old are your light bulbs?

I've found Co2 to be the best way to control a lot of algaes. Seachem Excel at 2x dose is also effective.

My light bulbs are the original light bulbs that came with the tank... so I joined AA when I got my tank..... therfore the light bulbs are 1 year and 1 month old. (Woah! I can't believe I've had my tank for that long!) So with the co2.... in other words, bump up the plants vitality?

Co2 should be injected into any planted tank. The plants will grow a minimum of 5% faster even on a low light tank.

Your bulbs should be replaced, they are recommended to be replaced every 6-9 months.

if your fixture uses 24" bulbs or 48" bulbs. Philips daylight deluxe or natural sunshine are both really good low cost bulbs (under 3$ each, or in aus. under 8$ each.)

6-9 months!?! Wow am I over due. lol. Yay! excuse to go to lfs!

hmm thanks! I dont think my bulbs are even uv! Is CO2 really necessary to get rid of BBA? Still not partial to it. Are there any other things to get rid of BBA?

Actually, would high light levels contribute to BBA? And not enough plants to soak up nutrients? Cause I have gotten quite a few new fish over the weeks without cetting more plants.

Co2 while you may not be partial to it, actually contributes more to plants then increasing the light, just FYI.

the number of plants, while it does affect the amount of nutrient uptake, doesn't affect the balance. I would be inclined to guess that a NO3:pO4 imbalance with no/lowK could cause some rather odd problems. The only way I've seen people (myself included) beat BBA was with Co2 and keeping the light levels high.

95% of all algae problems are CO2 related.............................
Co2 is the only effective way to stop BBA once it has started short of overdosing excel (which is not recommended).

ok... so I'm considering the Co2. what I'm getting is that CO2 in the long run will be beneficial for my plants in the end. Especially if I plan to eventually make it a heavily planted tank. And the exra CO2 won't do harm for the fishes? They will still be able to live happily? And does CO2 lower ph? Because then I will de finilty get it.

What kind of system? Hagen maybe or DIY...

My new aquarium saving up list: Plants, CO2 and light Bulbs

Easy way to START injecting co2: if you have a HOB filter, run a tube from a 2 liter pop bottle into the intake. Fill the bottle with a few cups of sugar (usually 4 inches for me) some lukewarm (room temp) waterand pour in some yeast... instant CO2. Not accurate, but its a good little system that worked on my 10 gallon for months (lasts about 3 weeks per mixture)

I've got a powerhead, will that do or will the water start getting sucked in the bottle or something...

Back
Top Bottom