!!!!!! Help cfl lights !!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EndlersEatGuppies

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just bought the energy efficient high lite cfl 13 watt which = 60 watt in a regular light bulb for my 10g aquarium. It is 3500 k. Is that enough please help. Also I have a amazon sword.

An 18W CFL would be better. A 10g doesn't follow the Wpg guidelines very well because of its small size. Just so you know, that amazon sword will quickly outgrow your 10g if it's happy. I had two that outgrew my 29g.

Yep, swords grow huge... you can see a pic of one of my amazon swords below. Now, as far as the color temp, you're just going to have to monitor your plants. If they look healthy and grow, you're fine. While I like 10,000k bulbs better, I've read a lot that says a lot of lower color temps work ok for plants. It really doesn't matter on the color temp, its more about what spectrum of light the bulb puts out, but thats too complicated to get in to. Thats why 6500k-10,000k is usually recommended, because they typically have those needed spectrums.

This is in a 125g for reference:
img_1277071_0_0351648427a0e3c92a80e1f1778e3b87.jpg

generally, its recommended between 6500k and 10,000k... that said, it sounds to me like you already have a light that works. if you have a baby sword, sounds to me like the plant is getting enough light. they don't shoot babies off unless they're happy.

generally, its recommended between 6500k and 10,000k... that said, it sounds to me like you already have a light that works. if you have a baby sword, sounds to me like the plant is getting enough light. they don't shoot babies off unless they're happy.

ok so i have the two cfl bulbs that each have 3500k. so do i have 3500k in my tank or 3500+3500= 7000k :band:

3500K, not 7000K It's like adding yellow to yellow. You still have yellow, just more of it. Color temperature is a qualitative metric, not a quantitative metric.

If your sword is putting out runners, it's clearly happy with the light. I prefer a higher color temperature because I don't like the yellow look a lower K bulb gives my tank. I like to use 6500K-10000K bulbs, but it's really up to you. If you like the look of your tank, don't mess with it because it's working.

If your sword is putting out runners, it's clearly happy with the light. I prefer a higher color temperature because I don't like the yellow look a lower K bulb gives my tank. I like to use 6500K-10000K bulbs, but it's really up to you. If you like the look of your tank, don't mess with it because it's working.

well the runner and plantlet was there when i bought it but they are still alive so that means i am good with my k's

right:D or wrong:(

It's really up to you. Daylight spectrum (6700K) lights might make the plants grow a bit better, but it's not really necessary.

Back
Top Bottom