Help dirt tannins!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xoallison

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Dirted Tank Tannins VS Jungle Val?

Hi All,
I've just started my 10gal dirted tank 3 days ago. I followed Dustin's Fish tanks blog, making sure to bake my dirt and cap well with pea-gravel. I know brown tea like water from tannins released by the bark in Miracle-gro Organic choice potting soil is to be expected. I have TWO Questions:

#1: I'm getting new jungle val next week, Jungle val is known to like more Alkaline/basic water and tannins from the soil are lowering the pH. Correct me if I'm wrong, Will the soil tannins kill my Jungle Val???

#2: Do I need to dechlorinate water for solely aquarium plants? I want to do more water changes. I have no fish and do not plan to get any soon. I'm just trying to grow plants!

10 Gal tank
Current plants: java fern + java moss
No fish!
78 degrees
Standard Aquarium stock lights
I dose Seachem Flourish + Flouris Excel twice a week. I dose half of what is recommended of Excel!
No CO2

ANY advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• IMAG5204.jpg
    IMAG5204.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 408
Plants will do just fine in there :) what's your ph sitting at? I wouldn't put fish in until the ph swings finish due to the acid.
Water changes should help so just do a few small ones through the week and it should clear up.

Plants grow in streams and water like this all round the world, it's very rare to find a steam that wouldn't have these acids in there due to driftwood and organic's etc.

Your ammonia will spike abit to begin with due to the new soil so wait till your meters stabilise before getting some fish :)

30g planted, 90g Oscar tank

Looking good so far:) I have used the organic miracle gro soil as well and my plants did amazing. I had 2 huge vals in there throwing new plants all the time and I had a super thick carpet of dwarf sag. I capped it with sand so I could get a carpet effect going but it was a bit more messy. I wish I would have taken a few photos of it before I moved.

And as Bert2oo1 said, the ph and ammonia does spike from the dirt. I am not sure on the dechlorinator, I have well water.

Why are people killing the BB in the soil? If I use dirt it will be for the benefits of the ecosystem already there.

This is coming and wierding me out.

What benefit is there to baking the soil?

Benefits? I haven't a clue as I don't bake my soil. Just thought it unnecessary since anything living in it would probably drown when the water is added.

It's been roughly a week later and I've noticed about 10 green little bugs at the surface on my water. I swear I saw one swim from the bottom of the substrate to the surface. They are a pale green color and i'm worried they may be aphids. Has anyone else experienced this with a newly dirted tank? Should I risk planting new plants that are coming in the mail tomorrow? Thank you! Please help!

Back
Top Bottom