Jungle Val Tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CGL Fishing

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!
I actually used to be a member here and fell off the fish craze bandwagon for awhile. I have always had fish but became a background hobby for awhile.

Anyway, I am working on a project and considering the potential cost (both time and money) I want some tips to make sure it's done right the first time!

I want to redo my 150 gallon tall native tank. The goal is to make a jungle val forest in the tank for the fish to swim in.

My general plan is to buy some soil (any suggestions on type?) And cap it with pea gravel. I want to get the right soil since this tank is so difficult to work with and I don't want to disturb the fish more than once. I planned on using some large stones to keep the ball from overtaking the entire tank so that you can't see in it. I want to keep this relatively low maintenance (let's be honest, by relatively low I mean really low lol).

So questions:

1) with such a tall tank (31 inches deep!) How on earth do you guys get down there and plant plants and arrange hardscape?

2) what light recommendations do y'all have? I have a dinner fugeray I think but it's only a 24 inch. Thinking about the fluval planted with the 24 hour cycle but want to be sure that isn't too overkill.

3) what is the go to soil for dirted tanks now? I know it used to be miracle grow organic choice potting soil but wanted to see if anything else is more popular now since that one is so pricy.

4) any general tips? Never done Val's before!

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom