Help fast!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dmiller383

Aquarium Advice Regular
My plants are turning black randomly in different spots all the sudden wasn't like this yesterday! Are they gunna die?

Without a picture no advice can be given. Have you seen if the spots rub off?

And even my moss is like black

Attachments

• image-1939002197.jpg
    image-1939002197.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 66
  • image-1893838667.jpg
    image-1893838667.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 80
It looks like it might be the start of Blue green algae which is actually cyanobacteria. Look at the pictures on this link and tell me if that is what you have... James' Planted Tank - Algae Guide. If this is what you have it will need to be treated with Erythromycin for 5 days. Cyano will cover things in a sheet like fashion and if you disturb it- will come off in sections and can be black.

Rivercats is right--looks like cyanobacteria. In addition to the Erythromycin, try increasing the water movement with a power head, additional filter, or airstone. I had this happen early in my tank set-up and added an additional smaller HOB filter to the opposite end of the tank. Between the meds and better circulation, it cleared up and never came back.

If it is Cyano, I had that before I did get rid of it with out doing a black out or using meds. If that's what you have I figured some stuff out. Let me know and I'll try and help if you want.

Back
Top Bottom