Help Me With My Hardscape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have 4 peices of driftwood that I have cleaned, Boiled, and screwed to slate with deckscrews so that they do not rust. Anyways I am building a planted tank for 6 Blue Rams, 15 Cardinal Tetras, 15 Serpae Tetras, and 3 Pearl Gourmies. I am putting 80lb's of Eco Complete in the tank that I will be getting on Monday. Heres my question in what ways can I improve my hardscape with what I have shown in the pic? because i want to be able to lower the water level put the eco comeplete in AFTER the rest of my stuff so that it holds down the driftwood well and also covers some of the rock.

Also this is going to be some what of a Amazon Biotope, This tank will be Well planted, with T5 1.5-2wpg (depending on the lights i have on) and Co2.

In a simpler terms just tell me what you think of my setup and how i can improve it.

img_1546040_0_205f2861a4319b88da55a8bc58e05cce.jpg

wow, you've got some really good pieces there! I especially like the largest one that's in the middle. I can throw a sketch composition of how I'd set it up if you like?

So I have 4 peices of driftwood that I have cleaned, Boiled, and screwed to slate with deckscrews so that they do not rust. Anyways I am building a planted tank for 6 Blue Rams, 15 Cardinal Tetras, 15 Serpae Tetras, and 3 Pearl Gourmies. I am putting 80lb's of Eco Complete in the tank that I will be getting on Monday. Heres my question in what ways can I improve my hardscape with what I have shown in the pic? because i want to be able to lower the water level put the eco comeplete in AFTER the rest of my stuff so that it holds down the driftwood well and also covers some of the rock.

Also this is going to be some what of a Amazon Biotope, This tank will be Well planted, with T5 1.5-2wpg (depending on the lights i have on) and Co2.

In a simpler terms just tell me what you think of my setup and how i can improve it.

img_1546141_0_205f2861a4319b88da55a8bc58e05cce.jpg

Sounds like you have it pretty well covered, now just get the substrate and plants ... but the DW really will look good once it's all set! The only thing I can think of is a slate cave or two.

wow, you've got some really good pieces there! I especially like the largest one that's in the middle. I can throw a sketch composition of how I'd set it up if you like?

I would love it id you would sketch something out, Yeah I found it in my father flower bed that we brought back from Canada a few years ago, the other peices are from canada as well and have sat in the sun for a few years :)

Sounds like you have it pretty well covered, now just get the substrate and plants ... but the DW really will look good once it's all set! The only thing I can think of is a slate cave or two.

I agree the lack of caves is a bit of an issue i just dont want ANYTHING that looks unnatural so not really sure how to make caves.

If you have any larger slate pieces left over ... like those on the left .. you can smash into smaller slabs and tilt them onto another. I feel that'll look more natural than making a slate cave structure with pillars / roof / terrace. Plus if you surround it with plants and other rocks so that really you could just make out the opening ... you'll really get the feel of a partially hidden cave in a rock outcrop.

here's my composition for it:
img_1546404_0_726e70111d4e2084c7407f5fcd3c7c20.jpg

I'll have to explain a few things though haha. I really like the current placement of the large piece and the tilted piece, but I put the other tilted piece behind both of them just to give the tank a bit more depth and to create a more clustered look. I twisted the curved dw piece so that the top tip is touching the front of the glass, so it makes a sort of archway shape. I read your comments about how to make something look like a natural cave, so I tried it out. :b I kept two of the stacked rocks how they were, but I moved the top rock into the slot that would be formed at the back of the tank, making a sort of pride rock pile. If you planted all around it and maybe in the space it would look really natural. I kept the rocks on the other side in the same place.
I think this ^ would be a good option 2 for the tank. You can build off it and modify it if you like the open space in the middle that could be a sort of valley between the two formations.
That being said, I actually really like how you have it set up now. It's a cool dome shape and it looks really good! This is just to give you a few more ideas. ;)

I don't think I'd change a thing... nothing looks centered, everything looks pretty good really. Some nice tall plants in the back and some lower (maybe carpeting) plants up front with a nice dark substrate and black background will make that one of the nicest tanks around :)

here's my composition for it:
img_1546445_0_726e70111d4e2084c7407f5fcd3c7c20.jpg

I'll have to explain a few things though haha. I really like the current placement of the large piece and the tilted piece, but I put the other tilted piece behind both of them just to give the tank a bit more depth and to create a more clustered look. I twisted the curved dw piece so that the top tip is touching the front of the glass, so it makes a sort of archway shape. I read your comments about how to make something look like a natural cave, so I tried it out. :b I kept two of the stacked rocks how they were, but I moved the top rock into the slot that would be formed at the back of the tank, making a sort of pride rock pile. If you planted all around it and maybe in the space it would look really natural. I kept the rocks on the other side in the same place.
I think this ^ would be a good option 2 for the tank. You can build off it and modify it if you like the open space in the middle that could be a sort of valley between the two formations.
That being said, I actually really like how you have it set up now. It's a cool dome shape and it looks really good! This is just to give you a few more ideas. ;)

I really like the pried rock idea I'm going to try it out when I get home. As for the drift wood I'd like to keep them kind of together to create a sort of crown look. However I like the idea of having some in the back of the tank giving more depth. I'll post a picture of it tonoght after I make some changes. Thank you very much for your time and ideas. I want to make a beautiful tank that will show the true potential of aquariums.

i think all that's missing is the plants. they will add the color that you need. also a lot of people say you need caves for blue rams but i've had 2 for 10months and i don't have any caves or hiding places. they never try to hide in the plants either. they swim with all the other fish and aren't a bit shy. i'm glad about that because i get to see them all the time. i think your tank will look great. please post pics. :)

Pictures are all being posted in my link but I plan on showing it off when its all setup so everyone can see and give me feedback. I think my driftwood is really good and will make my tank standout.

I did some changes what do you guys think? I tried the rock idea ended up liking it im going to just fill the gap in the back with substrate and plant it with a short broad leafed plant (dont remember name). The peice of twisting driftwood is not in the back to give more depth to the tank. Oh and the plants are just from my 10 gallon, they were dying from lack of ight but they are making a quick recovery.
img_1546902_0_cf3b8eafcacbd53c25bb178fd62913df.jpg

This is just a photo of my fish :) 15x Serpae Tetras
img_1546902_1_e38187652884cb3afa1026ebcfdeba5d.jpg

ill be keeping it updated i think i have a rather good plants picked out that will look good, this is my first large aquarium, only other experiance i have is my 10g guppy tank, but im taking it slow trying to do everything right the frist time to avoid the whole trial and error prosses or at least as much of it as i can

You have the beginnings of a very beautiful tank. Just dirt and plants are all you need. Really like the idea of screwing the driftwood onto weights and then hide them under the dirt. The stones add a really natural look too! It'll look like one large piece of driftwood sunk into the sand. Very cool!! (y)

Cool you got what i was going for, I have to addmit i did get some insperation from another planted tank i saw while researching that I saw that had a large root system as a centerpeice that looked really cool and well i had to make it my own with what i had so i tried and think i will be really pleased with it once the Black Eco-Complete gets put down. and the plants fill in around it...when i get to that point haha.

anyone know some great plants to use for a Amazon Biotope? not all my plants will be from the amazon but i would like most of them to be.

haha well the site will be helpful and thanks for the idea however when i do this it gives me one suggestion and thats an Amazon sword...;)

Back
Top Bottom