Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Help switching to live plants

I'm getting rid of the fake plants and adding low lights like java fern, anubias, amazon sword, etc, and I've also added micro sword in my 10g and 29g. Trying to figure out the proper lighting is somewhat confusing, so I was hoping for some advice.
Will a 10 watt 6500 K CFL be sufficient for these plants in my 10g?
Should I put one of those in both sockets? It's the basic double socket incandescent hood.
I have the 24" T8 natural daylight flourescent bulb in my 29 gallon. I can't get another hood/fixture at the moment. Will that bulb work?

Old 04-06-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I would go with something a little more than 10W, especially since they are CFLs so all the light is not going to make it into the tank.

On the 29g, I really doubt that will be sufficient for growth. It might keep some lower light plants like java fern alive, but you won't see much growth. I think swords and anubias will struggle. The microsword definitely won't last more than a few months.

None of the plants you mentioned will die overnight, so my advice would be to start saving for a better lighting system like a dual t5ho setup (here is a good deal on one that a lot of members have had success with), and pick one up when you can if you want to to stick with live plants. The most frustrating thing for those new to live plants is trying to grow plants with inadequate light in my experience and opinion.

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort384 View Post
I would go with something a little more than 10W, especially since they are CFLs so all the light is not going to make it into the tank.

On the 29g, I really doubt that will be sufficient for growth. It might keep some lower light plants like java fern alive, but you won't see much growth. I think swords and anubias will struggle. The microsword definitely won't last more than a few months.

None of the plants you mentioned will die overnight, so my advice would be to start saving for a better lighting system like a dual t5ho setup (here is a good deal on one that a lot of members have had success with), and pick one up when you can if you want to to stick with live plants. The most frustrating thing for those new to live plants is trying to grow plants with inadequate light in my experience and opinion.
Thanks for the info. I figured I needed more light.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:50 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reygan2
I'm getting rid of the fake plants and adding low lights like java fern, anubias, amazon sword, etc, and I've also added micro sword in my 10g and 29g. Trying to figure out the proper lighting is somewhat confusing, so I was hoping for some advice.
Will a 10 watt 6500 K CFL be sufficient for these plants in my 10g?
Should I put one of those in both sockets? It's the basic double socket incandescent hood.
I have the 24" T8 natural daylight flourescent bulb in my 29 gallon. I can't get another hood/fixture at the moment. Will that bulb work?
Two 10w CFLs are fine for a 10g. You could go up 15watts each, but check your hood's max wattage.

You can still grow stuff with a T8 in a 29, but only easy low light stuff. It can work AFAIK.

This is my low light 10g ( two 10w mini CFLs in stock hood ) no CO2

Swords and Crypts both like root tabs.
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coursair View Post
Two 10w CFLs are fine for a 10g. You could go up 15watts each, but check your hood's max wattage.

You can still grow stuff with a T8 in a 29, but only easy low light stuff. It can work AFAIK.

This is my low light 10g ( two 10w mini CFLs in stock hood ) no CO2
Feeding time 10g Shrimp Jungle - YouTube

You can make DIY root tabs with Osmocote Plus.

Consider Crypts. I love mine

Swords and Crypts both like root tabs.
Wow, very nice! Just what I'm shooting for. I switched to black sand, and I love it. My hood's max wattage is 15w, but I'll just get me another 10w. Definately love the crypts!
Old 04-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #6
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

My experience with a single T8 on a 29 was dying plants. The difference between that and a dual T5HO was pretty dramatic... and I didn't have to run CO2 (Though I eventually did, because the difference there was also dramatic).
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort384 View Post
My experience with a single T8 on a 29 was dying plants. The difference between that and a dual T5HO was pretty dramatic... and I didn't have to run CO2 (Though I eventually did, because the difference there was also dramatic).
I can either remain in denial that I will never do CO2, or I can go ahead and accept the fact that I am no longer in control of the ever present and increasing urges to go bigger and better.

First things first...I know so little about upgrading to T5HO lights. I'll need a glass top, right? Also, is there a specific type bulb that works better than others? I really want white light on my tank. I don't like pinkish tint. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

get java fern,java moss,and anubias. java moss doesn't need light(well,pretty close to it. it grows in my filter) and is pretty much un-killable. java fern and anubias are also very low light and tough
Old 04-09-2012, 10:06 AM   #9
come get me tang police!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reygan2 View Post
I can either remain in denial that I will never do CO2, or I can go ahead and accept the fact that I am no longer in control of the ever present and increasing urges to go bigger and better.

First things first...I know so little about upgrading to T5HO lights. I'll need a glass top, right? Also, is there a specific type bulb that works better than others? I really want white light on my tank. I don't like pinkish tint. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Just go with 6700k-10000k bulbs. The 10000k will be a brighter white than the 6700k, but the 6700k is closer to daylight.

As far as putting a dual t5ho on a 29g, you might be lucky and not have to run co2, but then again you might have issues, especially if you end up with a decent fixture with good bulbs and reflectors. The nice thing about the higher end fixtures is that some of them have individual bulb controls so you can run just 1 light if 2 ends up causing issues. The nice thing about going with a fixture that'll put you into high light is that you won't have to upgrade again later if you ever do take the plunge into pressurized co2.

With lighting I'd rather have too much than not enough, since it's fairly easy to reduce light intensity, at least compared to increasing it.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Well, I went to Petsmart today just to browse, and on impulse I bought the Aqueon T5 dual lamp for my 29g. One bulb is an 18 watt 6700K, and the other is an 18 watt colormax T5. The fixture seems fine, even though it's not top end. I also bought the glass top. Should I add another 6700k bulb to replace the colormax?

I currently have several nice amazon swords, java fern, anubias, and a patch of micro sword (I hope it grows, my female betta absolutely loves sitting in it).

I also have pfs substrate, and I bought Seachem's flourish tabs.

Am I on the right track?

Tags
chi, live, live plants, plant, plants

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com