Help switching to live plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reygan2

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm getting rid of the fake plants and adding low lights like java fern, anubias, amazon sword, etc, and I've also added micro sword in my 10g and 29g. Trying to figure out the proper lighting is somewhat confusing, so I was hoping for some advice.
Will a 10 watt 6500 K CFL be sufficient for these plants in my 10g?
Should I put one of those in both sockets? It's the basic double socket incandescent hood.
I have the 24" T8 natural daylight flourescent bulb in my 29 gallon. I can't get another hood/fixture at the moment. Will that bulb work?

I would go with something a little more than 10W, especially since they are CFLs so all the light is not going to make it into the tank.

On the 29g, I really doubt that will be sufficient for growth. It might keep some lower light plants like java fern alive, but you won't see much growth. I think swords and anubias will struggle. The microsword definitely won't last more than a few months.

None of the plants you mentioned will die overnight, so my advice would be to start saving for a better lighting system like a dual t5ho setup (here is a good deal on one that a lot of members have had success with), and pick one up when you can if you want to to stick with live plants. The most frustrating thing for those new to live plants is trying to grow plants with inadequate light in my experience and opinion.

I would go with something a little more than 10W, especially since they are CFLs so all the light is not going to make it into the tank.

On the 29g, I really doubt that will be sufficient for growth. It might keep some lower light plants like java fern alive, but you won't see much growth. I think swords and anubias will struggle. The microsword definitely won't last more than a few months.

None of the plants you mentioned will die overnight, so my advice would be to start saving for a better lighting system like a dual t5ho setup (here is a good deal on one that a lot of members have had success with), and pick one up when you can if you want to to stick with live plants. The most frustrating thing for those new to live plants is trying to grow plants with inadequate light in my experience and opinion.

Thanks for the info. I figured I needed more light.

Reygan2 said:
I'm getting rid of the fake plants and adding low lights like java fern, anubias, amazon sword, etc, and I've also added micro sword in my 10g and 29g. Trying to figure out the proper lighting is somewhat confusing, so I was hoping for some advice.
Will a 10 watt 6500 K CFL be sufficient for these plants in my 10g?
Should I put one of those in both sockets? It's the basic double socket incandescent hood.
I have the 24" T8 natural daylight flourescent bulb in my 29 gallon. I can't get another hood/fixture at the moment. Will that bulb work?

Two 10w CFLs are fine for a 10g. You could go up 15watts each, but check your hood's max wattage.

You can still grow stuff with a T8 in a 29, but only easy low light stuff. It can work AFAIK.

This is my low light 10g ( two 10w mini CFLs in stock hood ) no CO2

You can make DIY root tabs with Osmocote Plus.

Consider Crypts. I love mine :)

Swords and Crypts both like root tabs.

Two 10w CFLs are fine for a 10g. You could go up 15watts each, but check your hood's max wattage.

You can still grow stuff with a T8 in a 29, but only easy low light stuff. It can work AFAIK.

This is my low light 10g ( two 10w mini CFLs in stock hood ) no CO2
Feeding time 10g Shrimp Jungle - YouTube

You can make DIY root tabs with Osmocote Plus.

Consider Crypts. I love mine :)

Swords and Crypts both like root tabs.

Wow, very nice! Just what I'm shooting for. I switched to black sand, and I love it. My hood's max wattage is 15w, but I'll just get me another 10w. Definately love the crypts!

My experience with a single T8 on a 29 was dying plants. The difference between that and a dual T5HO was pretty dramatic... and I didn't have to run CO2 (Though I eventually did, because the difference there was also dramatic).

My experience with a single T8 on a 29 was dying plants. The difference between that and a dual T5HO was pretty dramatic... and I didn't have to run CO2 (Though I eventually did, because the difference there was also dramatic).

I can either remain in denial that I will never do CO2, or I can go ahead and accept the fact that I am no longer in control of the ever present and increasing urges to go bigger and better:D.

First things first...I know so little about upgrading to T5HO lights. I'll need a glass top, right? Also, is there a specific type bulb that works better than others? I really want white light on my tank. I don't like pinkish tint. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

get java fern,java moss,and anubias. java moss doesn't need light(well,pretty close to it. it grows in my filter) and is pretty much un-killable. java fern and anubias are also very low light and tough

I can either remain in denial that I will never do CO2, or I can go ahead and accept the fact that I am no longer in control of the ever present and increasing urges to go bigger and better:D.

First things first...I know so little about upgrading to T5HO lights. I'll need a glass top, right? Also, is there a specific type bulb that works better than others? I really want white light on my tank. I don't like pinkish tint. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Just go with 6700k-10000k bulbs. The 10000k will be a brighter white than the 6700k, but the 6700k is closer to daylight.

As far as putting a dual t5ho on a 29g, you might be lucky and not have to run co2, but then again you might have issues, especially if you end up with a decent fixture with good bulbs and reflectors. The nice thing about the higher end fixtures is that some of them have individual bulb controls so you can run just 1 light if 2 ends up causing issues. The nice thing about going with a fixture that'll put you into high light is that you won't have to upgrade again later if you ever do take the plunge into pressurized co2.

With lighting I'd rather have too much than not enough, since it's fairly easy to reduce light intensity, at least compared to increasing it.

Well, I went to Petsmart today just to browse, and on impulse I bought the Aqueon T5 dual lamp for my 29g. One bulb is an 18 watt 6700K, and the other is an 18 watt colormax T5. The fixture seems fine, even though it's not top end. I also bought the glass top. Should I add another 6700k bulb to replace the colormax?

I currently have several nice amazon swords, java fern, anubias, and a patch of micro sword (I hope it grows, my female betta absolutely loves sitting in it).

I also have pfs substrate, and I bought Seachem's flourish tabs.

Am I on the right track?

I just found out that the fixture I bought is normal rather than high output, and according to what I researched, the reflectors are sub par and the lights are positioned too close together, which supposedly reduces effectiveness. I guess you get what you pay for.
Guess I'm returning it and ordering the one on forts link.

A basic 2 bulb t5no is plenty on a 29g, it'll probably put you in the medium light range. Its enough to
work with and you probably wouldn't have to upgrade unless you go really high tech.

A basic 2 bulb t5no is plenty on a 29g, it'll probably put you in the medium light range. Its enough to
work with and you probably wouldn't have to upgrade unless you go really high tech.

Good. Is it sufficient for some sort of ground cover?

Maybe lilaeopsis? I doubt you'd see compact growth with dhg or HC.

Personally I would go with HOs but I like a lot of light. I ran a 29 with dual t5hos for awhile without co2 and it did well. Of course after I added co2 the growth went crazy...

The first pic is the beginning of the 29g. I still have a few silk plants, but the swords and java fern are real. I'm going on the hunt for java moss today. The second pic is my 10g. I know those swords will outgrow that tank, so I'll just move them to the 29g. Notice the red female betta in the 29 lounging in the micro sword:).

Attachments

• planted tank pics 001.jpg
    planted tank pics 001.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 58
  • planted tank pics 002.jpg
    planted tank pics 002.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 47
Maybe lilaeopsis? I doubt you'd see compact growth with dhg or HC.

Personally I would go with HOs but I like a lot of light. I ran a 29 with dual t5hos for awhile without co2 and it did well. Of course after I added co2 the growth went crazy...

I went ahead and ordered the light fixture on your link. I'll return the aqueon once the other arrives. I chose the 67k white and blue actinic (sp?) bulbs. I think I'll be happier with high output and a sturdier built fixture. Thanks for the help:).

wow your tank looks awesome

Thanks, I'm totally new to live plants, but I'm getting some fab advice on this site. I'm on the constant lookout for different dw and I'm going to get a better variety of plants.

I'm sorry... I don't want to hijack the thread but what do you all recommend or a 55 gallon? I just bought several live plants too

I currently have two 18" daylight bulbs that are 15watts each and are on approx 10 hours a day

Reygan2 said:
I went ahead and ordered the light fixture on your link. I'll return the aqueon once the other arrives. I chose the 67k white and blue actinic (sp?) bulbs. I think I'll be happier with high output and a sturdier built fixture. Thanks for the help:).

Sorry to say Actinic bulbs are useless for plants.
The 6,700K is a good choice.

Back
Top Bottom