Help with algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

segrayson

Aquarium Advice Regular
I would love some advice on how to deal with some algae that seems to be taking over many of my plants. I have a 29 gallon planted tank that was cycled without fish and has been stocked slowly since Feb 27 of this year. It is currently stocked with 8 Harlequin Rasboras, 7 Neon Tetras, a Krib pair with about 8 fry, and 3 Nerite Snails. Plants are as follows: red cryptocoryne wendtii, amazon swords, anubias nana, java ferns, and some java moss.

I have a Nutrafin CO2 system that appears to be running properly, lighting is 2 T5 24W bulbs, and I have fertilized with Flourish tabs within the last month. API Freshwater Test Kit shows the following (stable) water parameters: pH-7.4-7.8, Ammonia-0 ppm, Nitrite-0 ppm, Nitrate-10-20 ppm, and temp runs steadily between 76 and 78 F.

I will try to upload a few photos to help with any suggestions. I appreciate any and all assistance!

Attachments

• IMG_3380.jpg
    IMG_3380.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_3383.jpg
    IMG_3383.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 70
You have a very similar setup to me. Your lights are T5HO if 24W like you say? How do you have your light fixture mounted and what distance are the bulbs above the substrate?

Looks like diatoms on my phone, but if you dont have co2, I wouldn't be surprised if it were bba. Google both and tell me which it looks like.

I am pretty sure it's diatoms....when I try to wipe off plants leaves, it's a little slimy on some of the sword leaves and harder on the anubias leaves. I have a glass top and the lights are right above that, about 2 ft from the substrate.

Back
Top Bottom