How do you dispose of aquatic plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
All the info I can find is what NOT to do. I have learned NOT to flush them down the toilet. I want to be a responsible plant keeper but I just can't find any info on how to safely dispose of them in a way that won't introduce nonnative plants to an area. Any info would be great! Thank you!

Reactions: HN1
Compost them or put them in the garbage.

HN1 said:
Compost them or put them in the garbage.

Compost ok but trash isn't such a good idea..the best thing to do is put all the waste in a bucket and set outside until dried out then bury/compost

The trash is fine, trust me. There aren't water ways running through landfills. Nor do you need to let them dry out before you compost or bury them.

Thank you everyone! I dont want to be the reason a huge out brake of nonnative plants happens. So thank you! :D

I dry them out and put them around plants in my yard. Great way to get rid of them and very useful. :)

I normally just put them in a ziplock bag and toss them in the trash.

....except for when I bought my first batch of live plants ever and ended up with Dracaena...that is now sitting in a pot on my windowsill :oops:

Nice job having a responsible mindset. I know we've had a breakout of this weird plant take over some of the lakes here in texas near caddo recently.
If only everyone would think before they toss fish or plants into the waterways.
(The outbreak in texas was actually caused by the plant hitchhiking on boat trailers but you get my point)

Back
Top Bottom