how hard can it be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lt.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So im a beginner with planted tanks, i plan on getting a 55gal. tank in the next couple weeks. And i have been thinking about putting real plants in and trying to aquascape it for a natural look. But im not sure what plants are hardier, and less sensitive to conditions. Not that i wont take good care, but what if im gone for two weeks or more and nothing happens to the tank beside feeding fish.
Also, when can i add plants, what substrate do they need, (would just some pool filter sand be ok, or what else should i have)how much light do they need, and anything else useful to know?

Sand is fine, I would put some root tabs in under and plants so they get some extra nutrients, I would do crypts or Anubis , hornwort, java gets prof you want moss go with jaa misspelled xmas moss.
Plants help a tank so getting them never is a bad idea

Lt. said:
So im a beginner with planted tanks, i plan on getting a 55gal. tank in the next couple weeks. And i have been thinking about putting real plants in and trying to aquascape it for a natural look. But im not sure what plants are hardier, and less sensitive to conditions. Not that i wont take good care, but what if im gone for two weeks or more and nothing happens to the tank beside feeding fish.
Also, when can i add plants, what substrate do they need, (would just some pool filter sand be ok, or what else should i have)how much light do they need, and anything else useful to know?

Oh forgot to say you can add plants whenever. I always add tem in the cycle cause I do fish in cycles and it helps boost the cycle and gives place for fish to hide

Last edited by a moderator:
A have some 55g tanks and found that a 2-fixture T5HO with 6700K bulbs will grow alot of different plants except ones that need really high light. There are many different brands and price ranges so you might want to check into that.

As substrate you could do sand or small gravel but you would be better off if you get a substrate with a high CEC (carbon exchange capacity) . I use Eco-complete and in some of my tanks I use Organic potting soil capped with Eco but there are a ton of different substrates out there that other members could tell you about.

As for plants in my 55g's with the above lighting I am able to grow: anubia, java fern (both regular and Wendilov), java moss (and other mosses), temple plant, dwarf sag, val's, crypts, swords, ambulia, and several others. You will have to use some type of fertilizers, either liquid (which is easier for beginners) or dry ferts which are more economical. Also using a product like Flourish Excel, which is a liquid carbon will help increase growth if you don't want to use CO2.

Hope this info helps.

As for plants

Back
Top Bottom