How long does it take new plants to grow in height?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you have enough light (and everything else you need), but have a lot of surface agitation (which means more disolved O2), would you still get pearling?

Depends with lots of water flow you may not... also depends on how much O2 the plants are putting out.

As far as pearling is concerned...... it occurs when plants are producing oxygen in already oxygen-saturated water at a rate that is faster than the fish consume it and faster than it escapes to the atmosphere. Rapidly metabolizing plants (fast growers) produce more O2 than slow growers (anubias, ferns, mosses, crypts). You need high light, high CO2, and a large mass of rapidly growing plants to get the best pearling. Once you get it, you can sometimes even see pearling from ferns and anubias, but it's only because the other plants are keeping the water saturated with O2.

Don't worry too much about it though. Things can grow perfectly well without pearling lol

I converted my tank to a planted tank 3 weeks ago, with stem plants including Ludwigia Glandulosa, Golden Nesaea and Bacopa Carolinia, amongst other plants. I am seeing new leaves and roots on all plants, including my Anubia Nana is growing a flower! My stem plants may have grown half an inch total, if that. How long should it be until I see growth in height from the stems?

36G, pressurized CO2, EI dosing, dual bulb T5HO, pH 7, gH 8, KH 4, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0,Nitrate 25, Phosphate 3.

I personally think with more light you'll see more results. With higher light concentration you run into more potential for Algae. How long you run the lights determine that. I only run my lights about 7...7-1/2 hours a day my plants are absorbing enough nutrients to keep my Algae growth at a minimum. But length of time will vary depending on light intensity and how heavily planted to tank is.

Last edited:
Excellent information -- I did not know that both Ludwiga Glandulosa and Nesaea Golden are slow growers. I've taken a height measurement Friday and will post the growth results a week from then.

Rivercats, do you think I need to increase my lighting from 2 T5HO bulbs to 4 bulbs? (36G, right now lights are 20 inches from substrate)

Since your not using CO2 I personally wouldn't increase lighting at this point. Down the road you always could but then you will want to look into using CO2. I run one of my 55g tanks with a dual bulb T5HO fixture and Geisemann bulbs and can grow just about anything except high light carpeting plants. I also get fantastic color in my non-green plants.

As for those LED's, IMO they won't help much if any. If down the road you want to get an LED fixture Build My LED makes great fixtures for planted tanks and you can get their dimmer which allows you to use the light from 10-100%. I have 4 of these fixtures and they give wonderful growth and color. If you go to their website you can view their page on Par levels for each fixture. Just be sure to go to the Planted LED fixtures.

Last edited:
I don't want to tell you to spend money or what on. I would first recommend stopping all waterflow and see if you can see any bubbling from your plants with the lights you have.

It's been 7 days since I last took a ruler to my plants. In a week my plants have grown 0.0 inches. That's crazy, right!?

Sent from my mobile aquarium device

You need to be patient especially when plants are acclimating and or changing to immersed growth. If your giving the plants proper light, ferts, and CO2 they will grow. Just enjoy the tank and retire the ruler. Plants will grow at their own pace and there is no hard set rules for how fast they should grow.

Back
Top Bottom