How long does it take new plants to grow in height?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish4phil

Aquarium Advice Freak
I converted my tank to a planted tank 3 weeks ago, with stem plants including Ludwigia Glandulosa, Golden Nesaea and Bacopa Carolinia, amongst other plants. I am seeing new leaves and roots on all plants, including my Anubia Nana is growing a flower! My stem plants may have grown half an inch total, if that. How long should it be until I see growth in height from the stems?

36G, pressurized CO2, EI dosing, dual bulb T5HO, pH 7, gH 8, KH 4, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0,Nitrate 25, Phosphate 3.

With all that and they have only grown half an inch?
The only thing I can think of is co2 amount. Do you have algae problems? Do you have a drop checker if so what does it read.
This is kind of what I thought happened to me but my plants were just growing sideways they grew slowly up but maybe 2 inches a week sideways.

I also had dual T5/48" on my 75. even though it seemed bright enough it wasn't. the light penetration was not reaching deep enough. You should be able to check this by turning off powerheads or filters when the water is completely still you will be able to see which plants are doing photosynthesis by the oxygen bubbles and which ones are not.

No algae problems. I do have a drop checker with 4dkh, it's lime green about 5 hours after CO2 starts.

I have not seen my plants pearl. I don't have a PAR meter, but every chart I see, including Hoppy's from PlantedTank, at the substrate 20" from the light, I have high light.

My 2nd Anubia is flowering too.

P.S. Welcome to the forums DMunoz!

Wow that's interesting I guess I'm really not sure. Do you have fish in the tank? I bought a new fixture last week 6(t5 ho) 324 w. Everything started pearling the same day. I'm running them about 7 hours a day.

& thank you glad to fine this today fish4phil

Yes, I do have fish in the tank. Wow, you noticed pearling the day you bought a new fixture? Makes me want to buy another 2 bulb T5HO unit for my 36G, and raise it up 30 inches from the substrate. Do you think that would do it?

There is a crazy math calibration for light intensity through depths of water but I got dizzy trying to follow it lol ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396048028.386915.jpg
You could do one or the other.... i've even seen tanks only half full of water less water = more light penetration.

How many inches per week "should" stem plants be growing under "ideal" medium to high light/co2 conditions?

It can vary depending on species of plant and strand. personally I'm see about 1 inch a week and up. You have 2 t5's at 54w each??

I know, it's why I attempted the question with "quotes" haha. And I have 2 T5HO 24 watt each, one of them rosette, but I've read T5HO produce the same PAR despite its length or watts once they are 24" long. A higher Watt just means the bulb is longer, not brighter.

1" a week is a good reference, thanks. What does everyone else see?

Old-school used to say you need 3 W per gallon. with modern technology we know there's a lot more to it than that. But 24✖️2=48 ➗36=1.333
Personally I don't think that's enough light the tank is 2 foot tall

Jkeating8 is right though there are a lot of variables!

I see daily growth in my tank.... I have new dwarf baby tear. it's on the rebound and pearls with the rest

Both Ludwigia glandulosa and especially Nesaea golden are slower growing plants, even in high light-co2 tanks with proper ferts. Plus most Nesaea golden is sent in it's emersed growth form (if the stems have bright pink stems then it's been grown emersed) and it takes longer than most stem plants to convert to it's immersed growth. Plus remember plants need to acclimate to new tank conditions.

As for pearling, not all tanks with CO2 pearl. I have very high lighting, high CO2 levels, and dose PPS-Pro in my 220g tank and while my growth rate is very high I get very little pearling. AquaChem once posted about CO2 and pearling or lack there of and I'll see if I can find and post it.

Both Ludwigia glandulosa and especially Nesaea golden are slower growing plants, even in high light-co2 tanks with proper ferts. Plus most Nesaea golden is sent in it's emersed growth form (if the stems have bright pink stems then it's been grown emersed) and it takes longer than most stem plants to convert to it's immersed growth. Plus remember plants need to acclimate to new tank conditions.

As for pearling, not all tanks with CO2 pearl. I have very high lighting, high CO2 levels, and dose PPS-Pro in my 220g tank and while my growth rate is very high I get very little pearling. AquaChem once posted about CO2 and pearling or lack there of and I'll see if I can find and post it.

Excellent information -- I did not know that both Ludwiga Glandulosa and Nesaea Golden are slow growers. I've taken a height measurement Friday and will post the growth results a week from then.

Rivercats, do you think I need to increase my lighting from 2 T5HO bulbs to 4 bulbs? (36G, right now lights are 20 inches from substrate)

I also had dual T5/48" on my 75. even though it seemed bright enough it wasn't. the light penetration was not reaching deep enough. You should be able to check this by turning off powerheads or filters when the water is completely still you will be able to see which plants are doing photosynthesis by the oxygen bubbles and which ones are not.

If a plant is not pearling doesn't mean its not photosynthesising. Pearling is to do with O2 absorption rates in water. If a plant produces o2 faster than it can be absorbed into the water then you'll see pearling

Obviously not all aquarium plants will and I didn't mean to imply that photosynthesis isn't happening if there is no Pirlie

Obviously not all aquarium plants will and I didn't mean to imply that photosynthesis isn't happening if there is no Pirlie

I dunno you take a look at some of the better high tech setups and you'll see pretty much every plant pearling. All be it different rates

Obviously not all aquarium plants pearl. I didn't mean to in ply that photosynthesis is not happening unless the plants are pearling. CO2 or not in enough light ludwigia will bubble oxygen. But that doesn't mean it's not growing if it doesn't sorry sk3lly

Sorry about your anger issues man I think you have the wrong impression here sk3lly

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom