How much light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RyanBenson

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How much light do live plants require?? I have 3 java ferns and 2 Anubias!

Attachments

• image-1005334027.jpg
    image-1005334027.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 69
In other words, can I turn it off while I'm sleeping? I'm doing a fishless cycle at the moment.

just too add on this, depending on how much light you have, you really only want 10 hours a day max, less for higher lights. Or you will start to promote algae growth

How do they look so far?? I've had them in for 2 days now!

Attachments

• image-2189513012.jpg
    image-2189513012.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 60
  • image-1766435919.jpg
    image-1766435919.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 47
well, both of those plants can not be planted in the sand like that has the rhizome (part on the bottem the stems grow from) will rot, they need to be tied to something so the rhizomes are not under the sand like that :)

other then that, they look good. I know you got them petsmart so expect some leaves to fall off and grow back while they adjust to your water

your decorations, rocks, or even terracotta broken into pieces works great for tying the plants too, i do that and just bury the terracotta under the sand but leave the rhizome above the sand, while others are tied to my driftwood (goes for both anubias and java)

Last edited:
well, both of those plants can not be planted in the sand like that has the rhizome (part on the bottem the stems grow from) will rot, they need to be tied to something so the rhizomes are not under the sand like that :)

other then that, they look good. I know you got them petsmart so expect some leaves to fall off and grow back while they adjust to your water

your decorations, rocks, or even terracotta broken into pieces works great for tying the plants too, i do that and just bury the terracotta under the sand but leave the rhizome above the sand, while others are tied to my driftwood (goes for both anubias and java)

Oh, whoops! Thank you!!

What should I tie them with?

some people like to use un-dyed cotton thread, has by the time the plants have attached to your decorations the thread will just rot away, i myself use clear fishing line and it works fine

some people like to use un-dyed cotton thread, has by the time the plants have attached to your decorations the thread will just rot away, i myself use clear fishing line and it works fine

Yeah, I was thinking fishing line!

It's still up in the air as to whether plants need alot, if any downtime for photosynthesis. Algae will be held at bay easier with a shorter light cycle though.
Personally, I would use the cotton thread. It's organic and will breakdown within a couple months. The fishing line will have to be removed if used because it would take much longer and the rhizome can actually grow into the line.
Your tank looks great! Goodluck.

It's still up in the air as to whether plants need alot, if any downtime for photosynthesis. Algae will be held at bay easier with a shorter light cycle though.
Personally, I would use the cotton thread. It's organic and will breakdown within a couple months. The fishing line will have to be removed if used because it would take much longer and the rhizome can actually grow into the line.
Your tank looks great! Goodluck.

Ooooh ok! Ill is that then! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom