How much metricide 14 ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clarkm

Aquarium Advice Freak
Was wondering how much metricide 14 I could safely dose in my 58 gallon planted aquarium? I have been doing 10 ml of straight met 14 but I recently put a new light on the tank and can see algae starting to creep in. I want to try to get it under control before it explodes

I dosed my 50g with 20 cc undiluted for a week & it made a huge difference. Slowly worked up to that amount over a week period & have since decreased it to 8cc.
OS said 25cc undiluted glut for a 50g would be ok ( & I beleive everything he says.. :)....He s helped me a lot)

My gills are burning. lol
+1 on Rodeo's advice. Glut has a mild algaecide property.
Rodeo thanks for the compliment but it seems to me you're as good an aquarist as any of us. And don't believe everything I say as I've been known to spin a yarn or two. Wink, wink. Also, I'm "plumb ignert" in alot of things as we say down here. Take care.

Depending on the amount of light you can safely build up to and use 1ml (1/2ml if using straight from the bottle) for every 1 gallon of tank water. Anacharis and Val's can be very sensitive to melting when using liquid carbons. Also do not use high doses if you have delicate shrimp and some delicate fish such as dwarf or pygmy cory's. A good overall dose is 1ml (1/2ml straight) Metricide for every 2 gallons of tank water.

Rivercats , so If I figured it right on a 60 gallon tank it would be roughly 15 ml of straight metricide 14. ?

Rivercats , so If I figured it right on a 60 gallon tank it would be roughly 15 ml of straight metricide 14. ?

That is correct except build up to that. Say 1/2ml for every 5 gallons for a week, then 1/2ml for every 2 gallons for a couple weeks, then up to 1/2ml for every gallon. If at anytime your tank clouds up after use and is clear by the next day your using too much for your tank. If this happens you need to cut back a little. Clouding is true overdosing.

I've found that plants and fish can take quite a large amount of glut with no ill effects.

Been dosing 28 ml per day of undiluted Metricide 14 in my 50gal tank for a number of months now. Tank is 9 months old and heavily planted with about 42 small fish, mainly neons and rasboras. It gets dosed twice a day just before the start of my two split photo periods. Along with daily EI dosing everything appears to be doing great.

The workable tank volume is only about 38 gal, so it works out to about 1.2ml of Excel strengh glut per gallon of tank water. Occasionally I get a couple new fish or plants and they have had no problems with acclimating.

Many shrimp and certain sensitive fish are actually very intolerant of Glut even in small doses.

Back
Top Bottom