How to replant baby plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

venymae

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently got a few cuttings and baby plants from a fellow member and am wondering how to best keep them alive. The small ones are about one inch tall (some swords and other things) I would like to successfully get them big! THanks for everybodys help!

For swords or crypts you simply plant the roots in the substrate being sure not to cover the crown with substrate. For any stem plants just push them in the substrate and they will grow roots. For the swords and crypts be sure to use root tabs. For other plants you need to at least use a liquid fert weekly. BUT most of all you have to have the proper lighting and bulbs that will support the type of plants your trying to grow.

I found that my stem cuttings do best if I let them float until they get a few roots. Every time I just planted them after cutting the stems would turn black and die off. I started waiting until they get a few small roots before planting and they do much better.

I found that my stem cuttings do best if I let them float until they get a few roots. Every time I just planted them after cutting the stems would turn black and die off. I started waiting until they get a few small roots before planting and they do much better.

That's great advice. Thanks.

In the 30+ years I've been doing planted tanks I've never let stem plants float in order to grow roots. I literally have hundreds of stems in my 220g high light tank and would never have light reaching all the other plants if I floated all my cuttings. Normally if stem plants rot at the bottom after planting there is are problems such as not enough light reaching the lower stem, nutrient deficiencies, and even planting stems too close together. While it certainly won't hurt floating them (unless they block too much light for other plants in the substrate) there really isn't a need to unless you find your having a lot of problems with a certain plant. I would plant them and if down the road you find you are having problems then I would possibly think about floating them to get some roots.

But it can't hurt to float the stems, right? Also would floating the baby swords and vals be ok till they get bigger roots? I've had a couple melt on me already (potted in dirt and sand cap) and I just don't want to lose them all.

I do not suggest floating swords. If they have even 3 or so small roots plant the roots and be sure not to bury the crown of the plants and then put a root tab close to it. A also don't like floating val's. It is very common when planting vals for them to slightly melt and take quite some time before they start growing well. They just need time, usually many weeks, for them to really acclimate, settle in, and finally begin to take off. If they melt do not remove the roots, just let the leaves melt off. Sometimes new growth will begin, same as with crypts. You also don't need to use pots. Just plant in your substrate. Once val's take off they send out runners with new plants on them which doesn't work well in pots.

Thanks for all the help everyone, I finally took the plunge and planted my babies into the substrate. Wish me luck, I really don't want a melt-down. My first ever water plant was a big beautiful sword with antennas and babies at the end, I planted it in my gravel and it slowly melted and died. I was devastated. I suppose that is why I'm so nervous.:shock: If these melt, I can't afford to replace them!

Anyways wish me luck!:flowers:

Do a web search for aquarium forums and sign up to be a member. Most have buy, sell, and trade sections. You can get great deals on plants and things. On plantedtank.net you can find a lot of RAOK (randon acts of kindness) posts. A great way to get plants cheap to start with. Aquabid.com has some good deals too. I got my first large group of plants, 100 plants, for $25 on there. I killed half of them but it was a good way to learn.

Back
Top Bottom