hygrophila corymbosa stricta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleynicole

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just picked this up at petco and am very excited. I hope it will make a good background plant in my 60 gallon. I used wisteria before but it wasn't growing so well recently (little to my knowledge the culpits were some plant destroying fish... the problem has been remedied)... and i also want more variety. I've google researched it but if anyone has experience with it can you let me know what to expect? Can anyone tell me how it compares to wisteria? Thanks.

Anybody? Here's a few stems. I separated the stems and planted in bunches of twos around my two tanks.

ForumRunner_20131206_224805.jpg

I have a lot of this stuff in my greenhouse. It grows tall and quick above water. Submerged growth is slower and leaves a bit thinner but once established seems to do pretty good. Not quite as fast as wisteria.

In about 6 months my corymbosa went from a single tube from petco to filling my entire 75 gallon. I really like the plant and it tolerates a wide range of conditions. When they're mature you'll need to keep enough space between each of the stems so that the leaves don't touch, that way light is getting to the lower leaves

Attachments

• image-3262382225.jpg
    image-3262382225.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 187
  • image-2466787267.jpg
    image-2466787267.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 1,172
I have a lot of this stuff in my greenhouse. It grows tall and quick above water. Submerged growth is slower and leaves a bit thinner but once established seems to do pretty good. Not quite as fast as wisteria.

That's good because the wisteria was taking over at one point so I only keep a very small amount in one corner and keep it trimmed back.

In about 6 months my corymbosa went from a single tube from petco to filling my entire 75 gallon. I really like the plant and it tolerates a wide range of conditions. When they're mature you'll need to keep enough space between each of the stems so that the leaves don't touch, that way light is getting to the lower leaves

That's very impressive. I'm trying to do a variety for the background so it looks like it will add some good texture. What kind of lights do you have on that tank?

That's good because the wisteria was taking over at one point so I only keep a very small amount in one corner and keep it trimmed back. That's very impressive. I'm trying to do a variety for the background so it looks like it will add some good texture. What kind of lights do you have on that tank?

I've had it under t5no, t5ho, and mixed t5ho with a ray2.

I dont know what a ray2 is But I've got some t8 no and a marinealand led, but the led is only 24" on. 48" tank so I keep it in the middle. Need to buy a longer one....

These are my bulbs... I think this is t5no?

ForumRunner_20131209_104057.jpg

ForumRunner_20131209_104107.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131209_104120.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131209_104120.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 102
These are my bulbs... I think this is t5no?
yep, t5 normal output. I had that light for a long time and really liked it. Great for low light plants, possibly some easier low-medium plants. When I had mine on my 75 I wanted a second fixture to spread out the light more but ended up going high light high tech. That light will grow h corymbosa easily

yep, t5 normal output. I had that light for a long time and really liked it. Great for low light plants, possibly some easier low-medium plants. When I had mine on my 75 I wanted a second fixture to spread out the light more but ended up going high light high tech. That light will grow h corymbosa easily

Well I also have a 24" marineland double bright LED in the center behind these lights. I keep meaning to upgrade to a 48" fixture and am looking at the finnex fugeray.

The h.corymbosa is already putting on new leaves and looks very nice.

I've had this plant before. It grows very fast. As Jeta said, not as fast as wisteria, but definitely close. I did notice a few quirks. Because it grew so fast in my tank, it was one of the first tanks to complain whenever a nutrient level went down. It seemed particularly annoyed by low potassium levels, picking up pinholes whenever I wasn't as diligent as I could have been with dosing. Second, in high light and agreeable conditions, it turns a pretty pink/purple hue. I kept it in a high light tank, so YMMV, but it's interesting to take note of.

TL;DR: Nice plant all around as long as it's fed well.

Back
Top Bottom