Increase lighting for 10 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verucaproduce

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey...I have been reading about people modifying the lighting on their tanks in order to make plants grow more efficiently. Currently I have a 10 gallon with a standard 15watt fluorescent bulb and I am wondering exactly how I could change it to make it brighter.
From what I understand I would be able to buy a glass top for the aquarium and a hood with a spot for two bulbs. Is that correct?
Does anyone have any other ideas that wouldn't require buying shop lights and building a canopy to disguise them? Or anything that wouldn't completely break the bank? :D

i have a 2x13 AHS kit on my ten gal (look at it in another thread here) it's great, but i may upgrade in a few months to 1x36 and make my own hood. the 2x13 kit can be retro-fitted into a standard aquarium hood, which is what i did. the 1x36 will require more modification or making your own canopy. i would strongly suggest against getting the 1x36 until you know what you're doing, otherwise you'll get algae out the wazoo and you'll end up feeling like the hobby has become a burden.

btw, the 2x13 retro-fit kit was only about $35...cheap cheap cheap!

Mr. Burns,
That is a really neat idea. I didn't know that could be done.
A couple of questions for you (I wasn't able to find the other thread you mentioned)...and please bear with me because I am not up on my retro-fitting. :wink:
What do they mean by
NOTE, however, that you should not use a light strip retrofitted with two 13watt CF bulbs on top of a regular plastic tank cover.
Are they talking about the edging on the aquarium or that you aren't able to use it with an existing plastic cover?
I guess I should explain. My cover is plastic with the hinged part on the front, a small space along the back for filter, heater, etc and then the flourescent light sits on a piece of glass which has been siliconed to the plastic.
Would I have to buy the glass top for the tank, ditch the existing top and just use the existing lighting fixture?
I know I sound like a moron, but it is ok...because I feel like one too! lol

"Would I have to buy the glass top for the tank, ditch the existing top and just use the existing lighting fixture? "

You need to get a glass top, and not use the plstic one that you already have.

If I was you I would simply buy a plant bulb for your existing setup. (under $10) 15 watts for 10 gallons is enough for many low-light plants. I wouldn't spend too much on a 10 gallon tank because (if you're like me) you'll soon want something bigger. The plant bulbs have a higher percentage of their light at the wavelengths that are absorbed most efficiently by chlorophyll - so they are more effective.

I recently bought a twin tube fixture thinking that it would fit on my existing hood. It didn't so I bought a glass hood. Keep in mind that only some of the glass hoods are designed to fit a twin tube - it should be specifically labeled.

*edit* I just did a little looking and don't think they make a twin tube to fit a 10gal unless you go to CF or something.

i'll post a picture of my set up for you tomorrow. the retro-fit process took me about an hour and their directions are incredibly simple to follow.

ok, i had a few minutes to take pictures of the retro-fit lighting while the oil drains from my car....

this is the AHSupply 2x13 retro-fit kit. $35 or so. it fits in a standard 10gal hood, as shown.

Wow. So you didn't even have to get a glass cover for your tank? Did you have to do any extra venting on the light fixture or no?
Maybe I CAN handle this. :D

Back
Top Bottom